HOSTA ADVICE SOUGHT

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Elizabeth B, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Elizabeth B

Elizabeth B Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I planted several hosta last year and they progressed quite well during the year.

I have done nothing with them since I planted.
    Was this correct? Will nature take care of things?...or should I be cutting back?

Any advice will be welcome?

2. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Unless you have taken them inside they should only just be poking through the soil now

I would leave them to get well established for a few years before trying to divide...nature usually gets them coming through ok

3. foxtrot

foxtrot Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Providing you have the hostas in the right position, I think the only problem you might incur is slugs, which think that Hostas are the horticultural equivalent of dining a The Ivy!

4. Ian

Ian Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just leave them, but use plenty of slug pellets (esp. from March as new shoots begin to show).

Ian.

5. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Presuming you have removed the dead foliage from last year? If theres any left do take it off to expose the new growth (& any slimy critters, so you can pick them off & dispose of them). I avoid using slug pellets as I have a lot of wildlide in my garden - I had to take a hedgehog that had eaten poisoned slugs to the RSPCA last year- their diagnosis - it died. The slugs & snails eat the pellets, the birds etc eat the slugs....
    Try bran, beer traps or spraying with coffee.

6. wineandchoc

wineandchoc Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    it is wine and dine time for slugs and snail. Go out each evening and squish any slimeys you can find, put your beer traps well away from your precious plants. The beer attracts slimeys and you don't want them to be sidetracked into a hosta starter before a deadly hangover. I use cheap stout in my sunken pubs, they aint getting anything half decent LOL