1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

House move and starting from scratch.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by OdinJames, Jun 4, 2012.

1. OdinJames

OdinJames Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +10
    I have just moved out into the country to a bungalow with a sorry looking garden back and front. I'm not fazed by this as I see it as a blank canvas. These pictures were taken the day we moved in. That was approx two months ago. I have already got stuck in, sometimes in the pouring rain:yikes:.

The shed now boasts a roof and thanks to calling in some favours, I managed to get all the materials for free! So far the wife and I have spent the grand total of £27.40 on the garden so far. I'll post some updated photo's later today when the camera batteries are juiced up.

055.JPG
    058.JPG 027.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • OdinJames

Ratings:
      +10
      Here is the work in progress.

Front.JPG Side.JPG

After getting a quote of £545 to just turf the front I think I'll just seed it and lavish some tender loving care.

Below is the garden next door. The elderly gentleman was distraught at not being able to do his garden any more so I volunteered my services. I tamed the overgrown lawn and found a rockery underneath! I reinstated a border and had a general tidy. He is over the moon which made the hard work more than worth while.

View attachment 6380 009.JPG 007.JPG

• Like Like x 3
      • Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
        Ratings:
        +31,183
        Hallo OJ,
        and welcome to Gardeners Corner. Your next door neighbour's rockery is spot on now. Wonderful job:dbgrtmb:. And yours is taking shape too. Is that greenhouse in the second picture in his garden? I'm sure he would be amenable to letting you grow things for both his and your garden? It keeps the cost of stocking up the borders to a managable limit.
        Best wishes in your new home and please keep piccies coming as we in GC love to see new gardens transformed,

• Like Like x 2
        • OdinJames

Ratings:
          +10
          Thanks, Jenny. The greenhouse is in the garden the other side. I have put aside an area to have my own greenhouse approx 12'x8'. I agree with you regarding keeping the cost of re-stocking down to a minimum. Having just been made redundant and being disabled, money is tight at the moment. We have been welcomed with open arms by the neighbours in the cul-de-sac and have received plants and seeds as gifts. It seems to be the main currency around here. I reciprocate by cutting their lawns and weeding their borders, which I think is a great way to show my gratitude for their generosity. They have said that they were keeping their fingers crossed that a keen gardener would move in.

• Like Like x 4
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,608
            You've certainly worked wonders on your garden already. :dbgrtmb: It will be lovely to see how it progresses. :)

• Like Like x 2
            • Folly Mon

Folly Mon GC Official Counselor

starting new busniss in new year
              Ratings:
              +2,409
              Top Mon OJ :dbgrtmb:

I Hope Your New Home Brings You As Much Joy As You Have Bought Your Neighbours :wub2: God Bless Ya Our Kid Keep up the Good Work Best Wishes FM Nick

• Like Like x 1