1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

House of Lords blocking 'commons' bill

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by clanless, Oct 27, 2015.

1. clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
    Ratings:
    +7,623
    This really annoyed me.

The MP's have supported a reduction in tax credits - yet the Lords have delayed its implementation.

We know that the austerity measures will be painful - but also know that the alternative is even more painful.

We voted in the Tories, understanding that more cuts were on they way.

The Lords really need to be abolished - they are not represtative of the will of the majority and actually cost the tax payers quite a lot of money.

Get rid I say.

2. longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +23,089
    Oh dear, I'm straying into politics again.

I'm not the hugest fan of the upper chamber but on this one they are correct. As well as reviewing government decisions they are the last line of defence for the vulnerable in society. This policy decision (and it is a policy decision as opposed to an economic decision as it is designed not to impact upon the tories core voters) went through the lower house as a statutory instrument (meaning a simple yes/no vote) as opposed to a bill that is open to debate and adjustment meaning that the Lords are correct to interfere in this economic issue.
    The arrogance of Osborne and his cronies (one government spokesman interviewed on Radio 4 said that those who found themselves struggling as a result could get part time work!) has proven to be their undoing and they only have themselves to blame.
    I think it is a shame that David Davis is not a part of the cabinet but he declined in order to scrutinise the government from the back benches and he is doing a good job in my opinion..............

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34647544

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
      Ratings:
      +7,491
      Er Cameron lied about tax credits as he said he wasn't going to cut them. The electorate were misled. He lied so him and his cronies could carry on to win the election. The tories have always shafted the most vulnerable in society so no change there. I'm glad the Lords have ensured that Osbourne will have to look again at the issue of tax credits for the working poor. Well done to them for that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/201...broken-promise-on-tax-credits-_n_8337702.html

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • lykewakewalker

lykewakewalker Apprentice Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +710
        I think that we all agree that measures have to be taken to cut government spending but in my (humble) opinion Tax Credits are one of the better things brought in by the last Labour government. They are means tested and really help those working but on a low income to have
        a reasonable standard of living.
        Tax Credits have lifted over 3 million children out of poverty, again, in my opinion, it speaks volumes about the character of those who would want them scrapped, especially George Osborne who thought that the Lords would not dare to stand up to him.
        It has been one of the better days for British politics.

• Agree Agree x 4
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          Whatever party's in power, they always claim that the BBC and House of Lords are biased against them.

PS Haven't the Conservaties always historically attacked 'loony lefty trots' calls for abolition of the upper house? (calling it an important democratic safeguard?) OMG Are they now supporting loony lefty, bearded, bicycle riding, scruffy, vegetarian (might not be a comprehensive list of his dangerous beliefs) Jeremy Corbyn's beliefs/policies, oh what irony!

• Agree Agree x 1
            Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +85,629
            What is a tax credit ?

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            Well I think they should be at least re-examined.

There was a couple with 2 children in the news last night with earnings in excess of £35,000 per year. They were claiming that to lose £20 a week would break them.
            It's a total c**p system.

How would they ( and others ) like to live on the £3,150 health benefit that I receive per year.
            Up until my health declined around 5 years ago I had worked continuously for over 30 years and never even signed on let alone received " tax credits ".

Please don't tell me that poverty begins at £20,000.

Tax credits should not be around in their current state.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Like Like x 1
            • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +5,089
              hoparliament.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
              • Like Like x 1
              • WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +5,089
                Tax credits are used to mask the fact brits are under paid and the country is even lesss productive than the French with their 35 hour working week. Country is going to go under and the masses wont notice it happening until its too late.
                Dig up the lawn and grow your own food because one day your life may depend on it :yikes:

• Agree Agree x 1
                • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                  Ratings:
                  +31,852
                  I wish i had that sort of money to live on, i live on a lot less an that, i don't get tax credits (time to scarp the day job a go on the dole and live of hand outs then)

• Like Like x 2
                    Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
                  • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                    +0
                    Hi Jiffy,

Sorry if i misled you there.
                    They are both working, that is their salaries. Neither of them is unemployed.

That is why I think Tax credits should be scrapped ( even if only for certain people ).

• Like Like x 2
                    • lykewakewalker

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +710
                      I do not think that anyone would argue that Tax Credits need an overhaul but there are families out there, working but living in near poverty, for whom they are a life line. This bill will immediately take money away from these families without any thought as to how they will manage. Food banks are already at full stretch, imagine what it will be like if this egotistical chancellor gets his way and punishes those who are willing to work but just need a little help.

• Like Like x 1
                      • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                        +0
                        So tell me what you think poverty is ? ? ?

• lykewakewalker

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +710
                        I have resisted the urge to be facetious!!!
                        I would imagine that in any civilised country poverty must be when your income does not allow you to provide the basics for yourself and your dependants. Rent, food, heating and clothing are, in my opinion the basics.
                        I do not know about the area where you live but in this part of Yorkshire, and I expect many areas of the UK, poverty is a real problem.
                        Don't even bother with government statistics, just look around most town centres, £ shops are flourishing and now sell basic food items, there are more charity shops than ever selling clothing and shoes and as I said in my last post, food banks just cannot keep up with demand.
                        I do realise that there will be many families claiming an amount of tax credits that they do not need but for every family like that there are countless families for whom tax credits are a lifeline.
                        Do not think for a minute that most of these people, because they are people and not statistics, would not want to break out of the poverty trap if they could but the minimum wage and daily and weekly contracts keep them down where this chancellor and his party want them.
                        Yes reform of tax credits is required, not abolition of something that is needed by many.

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • Jimcub

Jimcub Gardener

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +614
                          This government is made on lies and bullying, not much different from any party really, we never get what we are offered with any party I would like a people's party.

To make the books right there will always be losers, but to blame the poor for causing it with benefits is wrong.
                          Part of the blame is top end earners not paying their way, also companies who evade by any means.
                          There's more money to be made by routing out by apples, make them accountable in a court of law and repay and fines, they do that to the poor and disabled but not the well off.

Ok rant over vote for the people next will you.

• Agree Agree x 1