1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How best to repair this lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Mark2020, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Mark2020

Mark2020 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi everyone

We're due to move into our new build property next week and paid extra for turf to the rear garden.

I'm really not happy with how the lawn looks and so trying to figure out how best to repair it. They'll probably offer to re turf it but i'm afraid that it wont sort the real problem which I believe is the top soil.

As you can see from the pictures, the green netting that the turf is made with has actually come to the surface. The lawn is very lumpy and has cracks/gaps everywhere. You can also see a big stone under the netting. I really don't understand how that's happened.

Can someone please advise on how best to sort it out please. If they offer to re turf it then i'm sure we'll have the same problem in a year or 2.

I'm thinking the best way (yet most expensive) is to remove all the turf, buy a few tonnes of decent topsoil so that its 10cm thick all over. Add an establishment fertiliser and then seed it.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. SuzFlowers

SuzFlowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +236
    Hi Mark. Iooks like the have put the turf straight onto clay soil, without a decent layer of top soil between them. I wouldn’t accept this. When we bought our new house a few years back I complained that there was inadequate top soil and it didn’t meet their specifications. They delivered more to top it up and then I seeded it myself, as I know that cheap turf is often ‘meadow’ turf instead of cultivated turf and full of weeds. My lawn is sadly full of weeds at the moment, but these have sneaked in from the neighbours on either sides turfed gardens and I’ve neglected it. If I were you I would demand they remove the turf and top soil it properly, I would ask them to returf it too, but would seed it
    otherwise. Good luck!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
      Ratings:
      +6,097
      Hello Mark and welcome to GC.

I have to admit. I have never experienced this problem. OK from your phots, the lawn doesn't look too good. Having said that. Turfing an area is a bit of a hit and miss what-have you.

As far as I know. Building contractors do consult with other work departments, in an effort to get things right. To be honest and speaking as one who has studied and been trained in the science & practice of turf culture. I have to say...hand on heart. Your experience isn't really bad practice. In todays world, the demand for turf has grown. YES you and I order a load of turves and immediatly expect the perfect lawn. Sorry this doesn't always come true.

Getting down to the knittygritty. The usual thickness of a turve is sufficient for the grass to continue to grow. Grass species chosen for turves are in the main, fescues that are shallow rooting. So in reallity. a turve should suvive if laid on a paving slab.

So. you are not happy with your lawn. Have you contacted the builder and the others involved? To go at it like a bull in a china shop isn't the best method. Bring the matter to their attention. More often than not, they will respond favourably.

• Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,259
      I can see the good old wires in the turf. This is found on thin turf and makes it fun when you scarify. I’ve seen it quite a few times and is cost saving on turf.
      Normally it’s the builders who lay the turf and sometimes it’s a landscape company depending on the design of the garden so an all grass area will be builders but a more complex design will be a landscape company.