1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How can I kill jasmine?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by Deltech, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Deltech

Deltech Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have moved back into the house I vacated 3-years ago.

In the 7-years that I previously lived here, I was in a constant fight with what I have only recently found out is jasmine.

This originates in the corner of a neighbour's garden, where 3 gardens meet.

It has destroyed some of my fence panels, and even "knocked" boards off of my shed and a neighbour's shed, and even comes in through both of our shed floors, walls, and roofs.

The neighbour on who's garden it is rooted is not interested in doing anything about it.

Anyway, that's enough of the "sob story".

What can we do to "kill", and I mean KILL this plant?

Beare in mind we cannot access the root(s), so is there something we can apply to what is growing into MY garden (and my "friendly" neighbour's garden), that will kill it right back to the roots in the "unfriendly" neighbour's garden.

I don't want this to turn into a legal/moral debate.

Yours in desperation,

Deltech.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,270
      Either strong Glyphosate (Roundup) or SBK Brushwood Killerwill kill it dead. However that would technically be Criminal Damage and/or Antisocial Behaviour. The only thing I would recommend is cutting it back at each and every point it leaves it's owners property; however that does leave you in a constant battle with it. I suppose the question is how would your neighbour react/feel if it mysteriously died?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Deltech

Ratings:
        +2
        NigelJ,

thanks for reply.

Bizarrely, the jasmine only exists in a little triangle about half a metre each side in the "owner's" garden; yet there is tonnes of it (ok, not "tonnes", but it took me 2-hours to cut it today, and it filled 2 x wheelie-bins) in the other two gardens. I can't understand why it doesn't spread in the "owner's" garden, but just the other two?

He can't even see it from the "social" part of his garden, so I don't think he "cares" about this plant; just doesn't want to "do" anything about it (cost/awkwardness?).

If anything, I think we would be doing HIM a favour if it "mysteriously died".

===============================================

Of the 2 products ye recommend, is one better than the other?

Also, how would I apply it (spray/brush), and to what part of the plant (leaves/"branches")?

Sorry, but I don't know the technical terms for "branches" of a jasmine plant.

===============================================

Also, meant to say, both my "friendly" neighbour and I, have sheds that are more or less back-to-back, and adjoin the "owner's" garden. My "friendly" neighbour's shed is right up against my fence and the "owner's" fence (it's been there 10-years plus, but he's only recently moved in).

I am somewhat fortunate in that there is about 2-feet between my shed and the fences of both other properties.

I can get up the side of my shed to trim it back, but my "friendly" neighbour doesn't have that luxury. He can only trim it literally inside his shed (which he frequently has to).

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
      • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
        Ratings:
        +2,381
        I'd fully agree with Nigel that it could cause a nasty dispute with the disinterested owner.. (unless as you say he might not notice)
        But any glyphosate brand sprayed on all the foliage will no doubt kill it.. You would need a fair amount of green leaves to spray for it to work.
        Shame it's where it is, i really like my scented Jasmine.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,694
        I think the main problem is that you have been away 3 yrs and its been allowed to run riot.
        Find main stems coming onto your property and cut them off.

• Like Like x 1
        • Deltech

Ratings:
          +2
          Jymi,

so have I messed things up by cutting it all away today? Now there's no leaves left to spray?

• Agree Agree x 1
          • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
            Ratings:
            +21,270
            From what you say you will soon have leaves again on your side and then.......

• Like Like x 1
            • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
              Ratings:
              +2,381
              Much as i feel a sinner for condoning the use of glyphosate, yes Del the plant would need plenty of foliage to absorb the herbicide.
              You would need to wait until loads of fresh leaves appear.
              (If you apply it to just a few it won't work.)
              And not forgetting Pete's advice.. if you could find the main stems/roots where they enter your property, then you are perfectly legal to cut them all through.
              If you go the chemical route it is at your own risk!
              I know you find your particular situation hopeless but I'd have to say that if a neighbour killed my Jasmine i wouldn't be best pleased lol.

• Deltech

Ratings:
              +2
              Thanks for all the replies guys.

A quick glance online and I see the SBK brushwood killer does NOT kill grass (which is good).

Does the same go for Rouondup?

Which is better out of Roundup or SBK?

• JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
              Ratings:
              +2,381
              The best one is Rosate TF.
              Nothing will survive it.
              Use with care, it WILL kill every green foliage plant that it is sprayed onto.
              You can buy a 1 litre bottle on ebay.
              Just use 40mls per litre of water (NO MORE).. If you make it stronger it will just burn the leaves and not absorb into the roots. At the dilution above it will go right down to all roots and kill the whole plant.
              You will see no result for 10 to 14 days and then pow! The plant will be history.. White straw.

• Vince

Vince Not so well known for it.

Retired
              Ratings:
              +3,499
              Shoot her, strangle her but why, Jasmine (although evasive) is a lovely plant, just keep it, prune it and keep it in check, a bit more work but worth it.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
              • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
                Ratings:
                +2,381
                I wouldn't lose our Jasmine, but Del has got it growing inside his Shed lol.
                Several years ago, i had a magnificent Wisteria on the front of the house. We decided on having a large porch and downstairs wc built, so it had to go.
                The porch had a good metre deep foundations as agreed with the building inspector.
                A year after completion i found a nice little wisteria growing inside the new build from the skirting board. What tenacity..