How can you tell what kind of soil you have?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by gioia mia, Mar 14, 2007.

1. gioia mia

gioia mia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Okley dokes, I'll start by saying I'm a complete beginner at all this, so apologies if I'm asking a really dumb question!

I think I might like to grow a wee heather in one of my window boxes, but I read somewhere that they like a certain kind of soil (can't remember offhand which kind though, acid or alkaline...duh). Anyhow, how do I know which kind of soil I have in my window box? Is there some easy way to find out?

2. KevinO

KevinO Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Gioia mia i think heathers like an acid soil. You could test your soil with a ph tester. You could always go and get some new compost for your window boxes- i think you can get compost for acid loving plants not sure what its called

3. gioia mia

gioia mia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Kevin. Are ph testers easy to get hold of? Can I go to somewhere like Dobbies and they'll know what I'm talking about?

4. gioia mia

gioia mia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Ahaaaaa, I've just been googling and read that if you live in a soft water area your soil is probably acid. That's why my next door neighbour's heather is doing really well in the big planters we have long our street...I didn't think she had put in any special soil!

5. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Soil testing kits ar available at most DIY stores that also have a gardening area. Heathers, mostly, like ericacous compost. If there has been a lot growing in your window boxes prior to your plans now, It would be best to re new the compost as the soil / compost in the box may well be very tired.
    Don't take it that if the water is soft, your soil will be acid. The water may come from a reservoir which is not too local to your location. It also depends on the source of the local authority water.

6. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    the soil around you where you are is likely to be acid, GM, but if you want suitable compost, it's called ericaceous, and you can get it from any garden centre.

Some heathers are called "Erica" which is where the name for that compost comes from - so you can't go wrong with that! :D

Some heathers have been bred to tolerate alkaline conditions, but I can never remember which ones, one of the callunas, I think, and there's another one..... but this is unlikely to be a problem for you - just go for the ericaceous compost!

7. gioia mia

gioia mia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you for all your advice and for taking the time to help me [​IMG]

I found a lovely website with a gazillion different kinds of heather - it's called Galloway Heather. Think I might order from them...