1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How close should I plant silver birch tree's?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by keithhampson, May 20, 2014.

1. keithhampson

keithhampson Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Hello I want to plant a row of silver birch trees down the bottom of my garden to cover a distance of around 14 meters. How close together should I them?

Thanks Keith​

2. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +31,859
    As a idea, my Silver Birch trees are 60+ feet tall and width is 20+ feet and 30 feet apart but the branches can over lap there may be some that don't grow that big but not sure, i have seen some trees planted 10 feet apart

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Silver birch are "flimsy" looking trees, I think they are much better planted in a thicket than a row. But perhaps you don't have enough" depth" to do that?

An alternative would be to use multi-stem plants, Silver Birch respond well to that, and grow up to make a nice "clump" in that way.

Might be better to start with the questions:

Why are you planting trees there? Block a view? Wind? "To look nice at end of garden"?

How tall do they need to grow / must not grow taller than?

Are you in a hurry for them to grow? Can you afford "larger" plants at the get-go?