1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I get rid of this monster?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Selleri, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,636
    I think it's a sucker growing from a rootstock of a long perished "planned" rose. The plant is extremely thorny, and has a thick stem I will probably have to saw through. It puts up 2m growth every summer, and some flowers but that's it.

I cut it to stumps as low as I can but up go the stems regardless. It's growing through a rambling fleabane and is in prime position in front garden, right next to the door :wallbanging: Not a good place for such a vicious plant!

360C5F82-CD35-41B3-9FB1-8A156965CE52.jpeg

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Perki

Perki Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +8,496
      Have you got any closer pictures Selleri ? Can't make it out , looks abit like a rose sucker ?

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
        +7,636
        Hi, I'll add pictures asap. It very likely is a sucker, the lower stem is about wrist thick and the stems around thumb thickness. The thorns are vicious!

I don't think I can dig it out without a massive destruction to the plants around it, and pruning as low as I can get to it is apparently just encouraging new growth.

Should I try to saw the stem even lower, or would it just make new branches from around? The current stems grow from the stem and not from the ground around it as far as I can see.

I'm not a fan of killer chemicals but if nothing else works, I'll consider.

Thanks for your help :)

• mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
        +3,718
        Personally I think the most permanent way is to dig out but that would mean something like digging about a foot away giving you a 2ft hole, hard work I know, maybe a job for winter? Dig out some of your plants to give you more room and not damage them? Then dig it out, still hard work I know, maybe try cutting the stems lower first as you suggested and see if that works first, I don't know about which chemicals you could use but I would be worried about it leeching into the soil, just my thoughts.

• john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +8,292
        Probably a job when in a bad mood; it helps me sometimes, i keep saying you won't beat me, you.............................

• Funny Funny x 1
        • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,890
          Hi @Selleri , We had a problem like this with a Willow about three years ago. What we did was saw it off about 4 inches above ground level, then drill some holes in it about two inches deep and pour some Wilkinsons tree stump killer into the holes. It did the job and doesn't leach into the soil. After a few months the stump just dries out and crumbles.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
            Ratings:
            +89,816
            Good morning @Selleri if it is a Rose sucker then they need to be pulled off if you only cut suckers off they will always grow again;)

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
              +7,636
              Thanks everybody, very helpful!

@KFF, I'll give this a try, it's the least invasive method- thanks!

And if it doesn't work, I'll think of brexit and get digging ;)

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
              Ratings:
              +6,097
              I had a chat with my friendly meercat. Zimbles, says he. Dig and uncover the bulky lumpy part of the root. Now using a good spade, saw or even a chainsaw, cut the lumpy bit off. Roots below this will die. or you can use SBK. Don't blame me. My friend suggested this.

• Like Like x 1
              • mazambo

mazambo Forever Learning

Ratings:
                +3,718
                Taken your advice for my tree stump, see how it goes. 20190907_193149.jpg

• Like Like x 1