1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I kill bamboo?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by dahlia, Jan 23, 2012.

1. dahlia

dahlia Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,
    I need to convert my garden into a low maintenance one. I have two large grassy areas where bamboo has been growing for the last 6 years or so. I would like to rescue some into plant pots but I need to get rid of the rest and stop it growing. I intend to cover those areas with weed control sheets and put down new surfaces: one area will be paved, the other will have decking.

I would be very grateful for advice on how to deal with bamboo roots. I hope to have this project finished in the next two weeks. Can I be sure that the bamboo will not grow again under the new surfaces? Is there a bamboo roots killer that I use before I cover the earth with weed control material?

Many thanks.

2. *dim*

*dim* Head Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,593
  3. dahlia

dahlia Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks for the link dim. It doesn't tell me though if the bamboo grows under the weed control sheet once I block the light. What do you think? Will its energy cause it to grow through it?

Thanks.

4. sal73

sal73 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,998
    Hi Dahlia.....I don`t know if you know how expencive is bamboo?you can make a fortune out of it.
    The best way to get read off bamboo is to dug all up untill the last roots , or follow the system on the cutting down , but that can take long time .
    bamboo can be really invasive that`s why peoples are growing in pot or using bamboo barrier and Yes the bamboo will still growing under the weeds control sheet , I would not raccomand to use any chemical.
    I recently both 3 bamboo plants for £60 and they where half price still all happy about , If I had free time I would have come myself and dug that out for you , but I`m sure if you put a quick advert on gumtree you will find lots of peoples who would be happy to come and dug it out for you.

5. Tropical_Gaz

Tropical_Gaz Gardener

Ratings:
    +245
    You need to identify which bamboo you have. If it is something like Sasa palmata, then you will probably be stuck with it, Very agressive bamboo and one of the few can survive flowering.

Others a lot easier to dig out. But most will come back, unless you get everything out.

Simply covering with membrane wont stop it, they will happily punch though. Phylostychys bamboos will easily lift paving slabs (eg Golden Bamboo or Black bamboo).

As bamboo generally needs very little maintenance can you not just keep it as part of a low maintence garden?

If you can post up a photo of the bamboo in question then we may be able to work out what you have.