1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How do i post/upload photos as an attachment

Discussion in 'How To ..........' started by The Wizard, Sep 2, 2013.

1. The Wizard

The Wizard cos I've got magic fingers

Ratings:
    +111
    When I go to post a photo it gives me two options. Thumbnail or full. But I've seen others post as attachments which appear in a green box with a small thumbnail and the title and file size to the right and when you click on it, it opens up the full picture rather than embedding it in the page. Can someone explain how to do this please?

2. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    I'm not entirely sure that previous advice on posting pics is now correct, so perhaps this thread could be used to sort things out and used for amending previous guidance?

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
  4. Scrungee

Ratings:
    +28,997
    The max size for pics is supposed to be 800 pix horizontally, but that doesn't work unless clicking to expand. I normally resize to 700 pix horizontally and will try several posts below to work out the actual max size without 'expanding'.

@Marley Farley @Kristen Previous guidance about posting pics methods have been superceded by the latest Xenforo software update and new guidance is required.

5. Scrungee

Ratings:
    +28,997
    Posting 800 horizontally (to show it doesn't display fully unless clicked upon - click on it and see the image jump sideways), plus what a lot of Clubcard Points I've got! (some nice holidays coming my way).

800 pixels wide:

clubcard1.png

Now posting @ less than 800 pixels wide - see that it doesn't require a jump in width.

clubcardbigger.png

6. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I would prefer you post as FULL rather than attachments. Its much easier to see at a glance and reply to, rather than having to open up the picture carousel. You can only upload images that will "fit" on screen, rather than ones with monster width/height, so will be viewable by all. (Scrungee's point is valid thought that it displays slightly less than the 800px width that is permitted, but if that is critical the image can be clicked to see it full-size, in-situ, and the smaller size is resized from the original, so "looks right" wrt aspect-ratio

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
  8. The Wizard

Ratings:
    +111
    That thread doesn't seem to correspond to what I see when I post from my mobile phone. There's no progress bar or the option to upload bigger files and have them auto resized and the user interface looks totally different. I can't see an option for uploading as an attachment. This is what it looks like to me...

IMG_2013090224426.jpg

I did a screenshot to show you what I mean. If I have multiple photos to upload and want to display them list style and have them open in full when I click on them like in this example where is says attachments. How do I do this?
    IMG_201309026307.jpg

9. The Wizard

Ratings:
    +111
    I've just inadvertently managed to do it purely by making a typo but not sure if it's the right way to go about it. If I put an extra closed square bracket after the first bit of code it works.

Instead of...

"[Ąttach] ##### [/Ąttach]"

I typed...

"[Ąttach]] ##### [/Ąttach]"

and somehow it did what I wanted.

10. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Indeed, its the method for a PC rather than a mobile device :)

What you are seeing is the "standard" file upload method that a browser offers - no fancy bits I'm afraid. That "original" browser file-upload method is pants :( you choose a single file, it uploads with zero feedback of any kind, you wait and then it either works or fails :( and then you upload the next one.

By contrast the PC method (and maybe some mobile devices too) uses Flash to perform the upload, instead of the built-in browser method. It allows multiple files to be selected, supports drag-and-drop, and displays individual progress bars for each file. By comparison with the conventional Browser file upload its a joy to use, and much faster.

There isn't an option for resize, per se, that happens automatically once you have uploaded the file, and will happen regardless of how the file is uploaded (AFAIK). However, there is a maximum filesize limit and bigger than that will be rejected (with the browser method you won't know until the upload fails).

The syntax for displaying an attachment in full size is:

[ATTACH=full]#####[/ATTACH]