1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I prune this please?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Springreen, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Springreen

Springreen Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Hello all,

I found these shrubs underneath a thick layer of honeysuckle, weak but still alive.
    [​IMG]

I trimmed away half of what's on top, revealing even more brown woody branches. The shrub's and the honeysucle's all tangled together, and I don't know how to proceed.
    [​IMG]

Can I prune the honeysuckle hard, now? Will it damage it? Or wait till September, or even spring? It's quite unsightly and I'd rather deal with it now...

Many thanks!

2. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Think, for identification purposes, you may need to get a close-up of the leaves ;)

3. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Springreen, yes prune your honeusuckle now.....you will lose flowers for this year but a job done and give yourself some clarity as to dealing with that area. you wont hurt it but give it a good feed, watering and mulch. :) You will have a good 8 to 10 weeks of growth left if you do this now

4. Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
    +599
    Hard to get an ID but zooming in on leaves on 2nd pic is clearer and looks like privet. If it is, it may be worth letting it grow new foliage and if it's really tall and straggly, choppin some of the top off the help it thicken up lower down.

5. Springreen

Springreen Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Many thanks for all your comments! I spent a half hour a day pruning this bit of my garden, and this is what I get after a week:

[​IMG]

Reckon I will need another week to really clean it up...