How do i repot my aloe?

Discussion in 'Cacti and Succulents' started by norakay, Aug 11, 2017.

1. norakay

norakay Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi. I have an unhappy aloe vera that I want to repot. It grew tall and top heave and was trying to escape its pot due to lack of light. I just took it out and trimmed some dead leaves, but I see that it has basically no roots (it has maybe 10 roots that are about 2 inches long each).

Can someone give me advice on how I should repot this? What size pot? Do I bury the green parts where I cut off the old stems into the soil, or do I just bury the roots?

Thanks for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,124
    @norakay when I pot mine up I use a mix of multi purpose compost some course sand and grit..
    1 part compost, 1/2 part grit, or you could use vermiculite and 1/4 course horticultural sand..
    Or you can buy some ready mixed Cacti compost.. ;)
    Then looking at your cutting I would also use a sprinkle of root grow into the planting hole, I personally would pot it into a narrow deep pot.. Say a one or two litre rose pot.. If you don't have that then say a 4 or 5" pot.. Good luck they usually take well.. :thumbsup:
    Empathy RHS 360g Rootgrow Mycorrhizal Fungi: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

• Informative Informative x 1
    • norakay

norakay Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +1
      Thank you. I put it in a deeper pot with some cactus compost that I already have. However, it flops right over. If I prop it up with sticks and keep it in a sunnier spot, will the stem grow a bit stronger?

Attached Files:

• Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
      Ratings:
      +14,124
      Yes it should do ok @norakay by all means give it some support to bring it upright as until it has some roots to hold it steady will move.. Keep the soil on the drier side, just moist and it should go ok..

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1