1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I set up .. Self Watering System for Tomato Plants

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by WillieBee, Apr 8, 2014.

1. WillieBee

WillieBee Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    Although it is still a few weeks before I'll be putting my tomato plants in the greenhouse, on my new allotment I would like some advice please.

Previously I have grown tomatoes at home, so watering is pretty easy, I can do it every day if required. At the allotment, this won't be so easy.

I want to set something up, so I can perhaps miss a couple of days, without having to worry about the plants drying out.

Would grow bag trays, filled with water be OK, if I stand the pots on something and dangle some capillary matting into the water ?

What other options are there please ?

I did see in Aldi a few weeks ago a self watering trough, which was basically a small trough inside a large trough. It seemed a bit small though for tomato plants.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +52,610
  3. hydrogardener

hydrogardener Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,814
    I have used Autopots for several years. The plants are fed from the large reservoir through tubing. A simple float device in their trays allows water to flow when the level gets low.

[​IMG]

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • OxfordNick

OxfordNick Super Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,615
      I use a similar setup - greenhouse sensations quadgrow - cant really fault it, they have a holiday watering kit option that Im trying this year otherwise you need to refill every couple of days when its hot.

• lykewakewalker

lykewakewalker Apprentice Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +710
      I have just purchased two packs of these for my toms and cucumbers this year
      www.amazon.co.uk/plant+halos
      Reading the blurb on the side they appear to be just what I need for when the OH and I are away on our (well earned) holidays.
      If the link doesn't work (I'm never sure about these things) just google Garland Plant Halos.

• WillieBee

WillieBee Gardener

Ratings:
      +36
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,167
      Put them into the border soil (not grow bags or containers), that's what I do and they will easily go for a weekend on their own.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • lykewakewalker

lykewakewalker Apprentice Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +710
        Forgot to mention, the info on the website says that the water drains away within 6 hours however info on the product tells you how to make it last for up to a week.

• WillieBee

WillieBee Gardener

Ratings:
        +36
        That's what I do at home, but the greenhouse base / foundation I was left at the allotment already had a concrete inner too, which is filled with pea gravel. No doubt the previous plot holder used the ring culture method of growing. I have also used this at home, but with the pots simply sitting on the border soil.

• Informative Informative x 1