1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I take a Cherry Blossom cutting?

Discussion in 'Trees' started by PhilC, Apr 5, 2020.

1. PhilC

PhilC Gardener

Ratings:
    +39
    Hi,

I've tried to look online on how to possibly take a cutting from a Cherry Blossom tree but can't seem to find anything for that specific tree. Does anyone have any tips on how to do this at all?

I've had a bit of a guess at my attempt here a few days ago but it may be useless.
    I don't really have much luck with my gardening guesswork at the moment

cherry.jpg

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    Mine are all grafted, I suspect that means that cuttings are difficult - at best.

No idea what the rootstock is for an ornamental cherry, maybe the same as for fruiting ones ... but maybe have a go at grafting instead? Quite possible sowing a Pip from the Supermarket and using that as the rootstock might work ... but personally I would start with "the appropriate rootstock" to reduce chance of failure.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,979
      Think you need a proper root stock other wise you could end up with a pretty massive tree.

• Like Like x 1