1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I transfer my sun flowers to larger pots?

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by kairos, Apr 27, 2014.

1. kairos

kairos Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    My limit to gardening has been tomato plants in grow bags and runner beans!
    This year we have planted sun flower seeds in plastic containers (Tesco trays) in our conservatory and now they are about 3 inches high with four leaves. ( starting to go a bit yellow). I want to eventually plant them out in 12 inch pots. What do I do next and what soil should I be using is tomato grow bag compost Ok ?
    kairos.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,138
    Hello and welcome to the forum karios.

You need to carefully tease them out and transplant them in individual pots in multi-purpose compost (I wouldn't use grow bag compost that is too coarse). Handle them by the lower (seed) leaves as little as possible, use a pencil to tease them out of the existing tray with as much root as possibe. Give them a good soaking first and leave for 30 minutes to ensure each seedling is fully hydrated. I use these square pots from Wilkos as they are cheap and easy to fit a few close together:

http://www.wilko.com/seed-trays-pla...-plant-pot-square-black-7cm-x-15/invt/0297682

Once transplanted keep the compost moist but not saturated.

3. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Hello and welcome:)

The best way I've found to get young plants out of cells without damaging them (the plant) is this. Take a cheapo pen, and with the wrong end (ie not the pointy, writing end but the blunt end) push it into the drainage hole in the bottom of the cell. The whole thing then just pops out intact (usually). If you send the pointy end in first, all that happens is it goes straight into the compost, damaging the young roots while at the same time compressing the compost out over, so that its harder to get the young plant out.