1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I turn my lawn, that looks like a field, back to it's former glory?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Merroney, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Merroney

Merroney Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there,

I have a garden that is in a very bad way. I am slowly working my way through it, to make it as beautiful as it should be.

I don't have any problems with the beds but I do with the lawn. The lawn is currently very uneven and full of holes. The grass itself is riddled with weeds and consists of wirey clumps.

I don't know what it the best way to tackle this. I could either pull the hole lot up, level the ground and lay new turf or seeds. But I wouldn't really know where to start.

Or I could manage it by filling the holes, killing the weeds and seeding the bald patches.

Which do you think is the best option? If you think I should go for option one, how do I go about lifting the existing grass up? And when is the best time to seed or lay turf?

Any advice would be greatfully appreciated.

Many thanks,

Merroney

2. mef750

mef750 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Merroney.
    Sorry I cant help you with lawn advice, [​IMG] but I am sure someone will come. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A warm welcome to GC. [​IMG]
    MEF750

3. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Merroney, welcome to GC, I can sympathise with you, this time last year our lawn was a mass of brambles, some of which were so tall we found trees under them when we cut them down (no joke). We levelled out the hollows with soil, re seeded the bare patches and cut regularly on a fairly high setting. Now the lawn is great, we still have a few weeds but a regular haircut is wearing them down. Spring is a good time to sow grass seeds but not during the dry spell we have been having, same with turf it will need watering frequently. Hope this helps, I'm sure the others will have more advice for you.

4. Blackthorn

Blackthorn Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Merroney and welcome - good luck with your lawn.

5. Merroney

Merroney Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for all your advice. I think I will try to salvage it, instead of ripping it all up.

6. mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,626