1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you make Magnolia Grandiflora in containers come into flower?

Discussion in 'Container Gardening' started by Howard Stone, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Howard Stone

Howard Stone Gardener

Ratings:
    +49
    I have noticed that these do well in containers -- large ones obviously -- and last year I planted three of them (var. Little Gem) as an experiment. They're in an ericacious compost and they get some Osmocote type fertilzer and regular watering.

To my great surprise they've all burst into flower!

Now I remember that about 20 years I planted the same variety in someone's garden, it came with a flower bud which duly opened and . . . it has never flowered since.

I guess that commercial growers are doing something to encourage the production of buds.

But what?

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hi @Howard Stone you didn’t prune them in Autum or winter did you, if you did it would have cut off this year’s flower buds. prune after flowering if necessary..
    They don’t like a high nitrogen feed either.. I don’t know what the NPK is of the one you are using, but they like NPK around 10:20:20 or 10:20:15. After that not sure, those are usually the main reason for no flowers.. :scratch:

3. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    I've never seen one in a pot, apart from in a garden centre/ nursery, most seem to be pretty big trees.
    Root restriction might just force earlier flowering.

4. Howard Stone

Howard Stone Gardener

Ratings:
    +49
    In fact they're often seen in pots in London, but I've never seen one in flower. They get quite big (they're in big pots), maybe 6 feet or so, and seem happy -- always lots of shiny green leaves. Mine are only about 24 inches at the moment!

• Like Like x 1
    • Howard Stone

Howard Stone Gardener

Ratings:
      +49
      Feeding them with a high potash food makes good sense, and I'll do it now since I think they make flower buds the year before they open -- can someone confirm that?

The flowers in my potted plants are the perfect complement for white water lilies, they are near a pond!

• Like Like x 1
      • Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
        Ratings:
        +14,125
        They do @Howard Stone, that’s why you prune if you need to do it after flowering.. Any later and you risk losing the flower buds forming for following year.. :thumbsup:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,976
        The ones I've seen flower sporadically all summer.
        From last month right into Sept.

• Howard Stone

Howard Stone Gardener

Ratings:
        +49
        Just given mine a good dose of slow release high potash fertiliser, fingers crossed.