1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How easy (or hard !!) is it to dismantle an aluminium greenhouse ?

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by WillieBee, Oct 3, 2013.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,062
    The glass will be fitted in with some sort of clip (on mine they are stainless steel springs which ping out quite easily using a screwdriver). So take out all the glass first. It probably will overlap so you'll work from the top down. Once the glass is carefully stacked, then disassemble the frame, starting with the roof again. There will come a point where the frame gets all wobbly so a second person is a great help at that stage.

Get some gloves with the rubber finger grips for handling the glass, it will save your hands and make it easier to grip the glass.

2. WillieBee

WillieBee Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    Hi 'nFrost'

I was the original poster for this item

I was lucky, in the fact that the greenhouse I got was less than a mile from my own house, which in itself was only another mile from the allotment, where I eventually placed the greenhouse. This meant I didn't have to dismantle everything and just carried the sides / ends home. My two kids helped ... promise of a McD did the trick. A hired van would also work

As above, the glass should all be removed with care. Don't bother trying to save the W clips (to hold glass in place) or the Z clips (to support glass) as all are readily available online, as are the bolts.

In my case, I loosened / cut off / broke off the nuts supporting the 6 angled roof bars (the bolts are wedged inside). the roof bars were then removed. The bolts, from the inner slot were removed too.

Before I removed the top ridge section, I undid the bolts holding the greenhouse to its aluminium base. If no base was fitted, I would have unscrewed the base from the small brick wall.

Remove the ridge ... two bolts and nuts at each end.

Remove the sliding door .... just lift off the runners ... leave actual door intact

I then removed the 3 bolts at each corner, to free up the two sides and 2 ends.

Unscrew aluminium base and that was that !

Taking each side / end fully down would have been a long job, made worse by fact less than 50% of the nuts would come off. Some would break off (quick bash with a cold chisel) but some needed to be hacksawed off.

Putting up ... the reverse

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +52,560
      If you decide to dismantle it all I suggest you take pictures first. It's helpful when you forget where parts go. :)

• Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
      Ratings:
      +3,225
      Depending on how old the greenhouse is these may be really rusty so I would suggest in investing some new ones when you come to reassembling it.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +46,062
        Agree, also with my type the spring loses tension once taken on/off a few times, so new ones are a good idea (and pretty cheap too on tinternet)

• Agree Agree x 1