1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How fast do climbing roses grow?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Small orange giraffe, Apr 4, 2007.

1. Small orange giraffe

Small orange giraffe Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    As I've just planted some and was wondering how long it will take for them to cover the wire I've put up for it to grow.

Hopefully it will act as a screen.

Many thanks

2. high kype

high kype Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i had climbing roses the first year not much in the way of flours but second year thy wear beautiful good luck

3. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I read somewhere that perenials are at their best in their third yr.I don`t know if this applies to roses though. :rolleyes:I bought a climbing rose last yr from wilkinsons (i think they`re called bare rooted,)and i did get some flowers.
    This yr i think i`m gonna have to buy some more trellis as it`s flying away already.Sorry i can`t remember it`s name,but you`ll have seen them i`m sure.I think i paid less than �£2.00 for it.

4. Small orange giraffe

Small orange giraffe Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    cool thanks, I bought 2 from woolies - well cheap! and have just planted them, so hopefully they'll grow quickly!

5. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    It also depends on how rampant they are, some grow more quickly than others. I had a white one that needed keeping in hand from year 1 and another called Seagull which grew very slowly indeed (it could be the other way round, don't have them now as we moved and the new owners dug them up) :rolleyes:

6. compostee

compostee Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I took a couple of cuttings of my wedding day before we moved, I also put a couple of cuttings of a white climbing rose in the same pot, (ran out of pots for cuttings) anyway the long and the short of it is, I have 2 white roses, no wedding day. But they were only 6" when i started them off, that was 3 ears ago, they are now over 10' tall. The hybrid and floribundas climbers, i have since bought are much slower. So it depends on the make and model. If you have the names we could probably give you a better idea.

7. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The saying is 1st year sleep, 2nd year creep, 3rd year leap. Having said that however we planted Calypso in Nov 2005 it's now flowering at about 7'6" (2.25M)
    So you pays your money and takes your chance.

Cheers MIKE