1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How long to let grass dry out before mowing?

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Stingo, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Hi all

My grass is looking very lush but it's about a foot long [​IMG] my question is in the title really I am desperate to mow it but don't want to ruin it by cutting when too wet.

What do you all do? :D

2. BekiMac

BekiMac Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    lol, this is an ongoing cause for disagreement between Mr Mac & I. The lawn is his department. I'm always pestering him to mow it, but he insists it has to be completely dry first, hence at the moment it's getting quite tall. He used to work on a golf course. He tests it by feeling the grass right at the bottom.

3. Diziblonde

Diziblonde Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm more worried that my lawnmower will sink into the mud :D

4. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    That's a good piece of information BekiMac, I think he knows best ;)

5. Tropical Oasis

Tropical Oasis Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    A foot high? you will have to get the strimmer on it first!! the longer it is the weter it stays I find. Just debating whether to do mine but it's very soggy at the bottom of the garden, and it looks like rain again! it's just started to spit as I'm writing this. :(

6. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Maybe I'm exagerating a little bit TO,
    My neighbors just done his but said it's pulled it up in places.

Hoping to have a go tomorrow if it doesn't pour down again today.

7. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Quite agree, TO. Assuming you have a petrol mower, IMO, you can cut your grass if it's a bit wet (not raining - I don't do that!) Picking up grass when it's wet is a bit of a problem, so I use either a big flymo, or more often recently, a mulcher mower. The mulcher leaves a tidier finish than the flymo, as it cuts the grass cuttings very fine, and "feeds it back down into the grass", which has the advantage of helping thicken up your grass if you've scarified loads of moss out and it's bit bare still. ;)