1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How long to stratify Boston Ivy seeds?

Discussion in 'Gardening Discussions' started by PhilC, Feb 1, 2022.

1. PhilC

PhilC Gardener

Ratings:
    +39
    Hi Everyone,

I'm just wondering how long you really need to stratify Boston Ivy seeds for before they'll germinate?
    Several website say anything from 30 days to 6 months so just wanting to know if anyone has had success with shorter times?

2. flounder

flounder Super Gardener

RETIRED!!
    Ratings:
    +1,685
    I always found with seeds that needed stratifying, to chuck half in a clip lock bag with barely(I mean BARELY)damp vermiculite in the back of the fridge for about three weeks, the other half sow in a gritty compost(coarse sand and spent compost) in a clay pot and leave it outside, away from desiccating wind and nosy rodents.
    Odds are some will germinate just fine without molly coddling