How many carrots per seedling query

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Green Knees, May 6, 2020.

1. Green Knees

Green Knees Gardener

Ratings:
    +42
    Hi folks,
    It's sowing season again and I've turned up like a bad penny.

Quick question: I have a about 60 - 80 carrot seedlings* in the initial growing trays. When I plant a carrot seedling in a tub, will it grow to produce 1 carrot or multiple?

Thanks

* when I grow seeds, either they all germinate or non do. I should have somehow staggered them as I can see myself supplying Tesco UK this year with the surplus.

2. KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,890
    Hi @Green Knees , each carrot you eat is the swollen tap root of a carrot plant, therefore you get 1 carrot to eat per seedling.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • ricky101

ricky101 Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +4,184
      Better if you also sow some seed in their final growing soil /tub as they are not generally a plant that takes well to transplanting. The sooner you do it , the smaller they are, the better.

Try transplanting in blocks so you minimise root distrubance and once settled in and growning ok, then thin them out.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Green Knees

Green Knees Gardener

Ratings:
        +42
        Many thanks, the above is very helpful. I'll go and look for a carrot tutorial.