1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How many plants to feed me?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by nikirushka, Apr 14, 2016.

1. nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
    +93
    Right, big post. I am knuckling down and getting going with veg this year, at long last!

There's only me here, so although I can share some veg with friends, I'm working on a how-much-to-feed-only-me basis, with the aim of feeding myself from one harvest through to the next, next year. I dare say that can't be done with every veg, but it's my aim as far as it's possible. These are my veg-to-be:

Potato
    Courgette
    Cucumber
    Cauliflower
    Broccoli
    Onion
    Butternut squash
    Carrot
    Pea
    Corn
    Sweet potato (maybe)

I have been looking these up but I'm getting different answers as to how many of each to plant, how much space they need and I'm now discovering that some sites are quoting numbers for one planting, and others for a whole year with successive planting so I'm more confuddled that when I started!

So, how many should I be planting out of these and if anyone can suggest ideal spacings for the plants too that would be brilliant, as I'm getting some conflicting answers for that too!

One last thing: I eat a lot :P

• Like Like x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,328
      @nikirushka
      Difficult one this. Can you preserve or freeze anything? How big is your plot.
      Courgettes, cucumber 1 maybe two plants.
      Onions a bit late for this year I plant about 80 to 100 sets and hope they will last me until May time and provide enough for making chutney.
      Broad Beans, runner beans/french beans 20 odd plants give me enough to eat,freeze and give away. Peas probably 3 15ft long double rows enough to eat, freeze and give.
      Sprouting broccoli, kale 6 of each. Sweet corn about 10 plants but I don't get many cobs to the plant and eat straight away. Butternut squash a couple. Leeks 40 plus plants, they keep well in the ground.
      All dependent on the weather of course and the effort put in.
      Potatoes not worth it for me apart from maybe some salad ones or autumn sown ones, they take up too much space for the crop. so I grow things that are harder/more expensive to buy fresh.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
        +93
        I have a hefty chest freezer so yes, plenty of space for freezing and the shed it's in is very cool too.

The plot is as big as it needs to be - so far I've dug 7x7 but I will be expanding it. I've a big garden and can use whatever I need to for veg.

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,328
        Ok courgettes and cucumbers do not freeze well.
        If you put all your 7*7 plot down to potatoes or carrots and look after them well you may get about 400lbs of potatoes or carrots or about 7*25kg sacks.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        Bit of a loaded question really, you'd need a book to reply to it :hate-shocked:

Nigel's done well so far but we can't really give an answer without a complete essay.

Best bet is to get John Seymore's self sufficiency book, available on Amazon.

It's fantastic :)

• Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
          Ratings:
          +3,699
          All good advice so far, best I can offer in a short post is a suck it and see approach, grow a few plants of everything you want to grow.

Learn how to plant, grow, protect, stake, harvest, store/preserve your goods, over winter adjust your amounts to suit you for next year. Learning this way avoids gluts and gives you breathing space to take it all in.

Steve...:)

• Agree Agree x 3
          • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
            Ratings:
            +118,485
            I agree with the others but don't think 7 x 7 (assuming it's metres) is really good enough to be self-sufficient - but would certainly help towards it.

Butterrnut squash take up a lot of space for a small return but they store extremely well.

If you have plenty of freezer space then you should plant more than you think you will need and see how it goes. Some things freeze well and others are useless for freezing. For example: peas and beans freeze extremely well so extra plants are good. They're also an efficient crop for the space because they grow vertically.

Although you say you eat a lot it depends on how much you really mean. We eat loads of veggies so a cauliflower or a broccoli would only last one day (just the two of us). So would a pound of beans or peas. So you would need to look closer at how much of each veggie you really need and how much you can produce. Also look at the length of the productive season for each so that you can get a rough calculation of how much you wish to freeze.

Whatever you decide it's going to be a 'suck it and see' situation because of the growing conditions where you live.

• Like Like x 1
            • Agree Agree x 1
            • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
              Ratings:
              +5,368
              Back in World War 2, the government ran a campaign called "Dig for Victory." As part of this, "experts" produced an information leaflet that explained amongst other things exactly how much land, and what should be planted on it to supply a family with food for the whole year. I do have a copy of it, but its years since I looked at it.

If memory serves, the patch of land required was 30' x 90'. That gave rise in some parts of the country to the size of allotments. Some of which still existed until recently, and may even still exist.

Perhaps it is possible to get hold of one of these information leaflets, or even find one to read at a library or somewhere? I know that there are inaccuracies in the information, but it should give the best possible start in this.

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • shiney

Ratings:
                +118,485
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
                  Ratings:
                  +5,368
                  • Like Like x 2
                  • shiney

Ratings:
                    +118,485
                    I don't think I have a ration book but I still have my petrol coupons. Come to think of it, I think that those are from 1973 :scratch: :doh:

• Funny Funny x 1
                    • Beckie76

Beckie76 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +8,435
                      @nikirushka I don't want too teach you to suck eggs so to speak but just in case you don't know don't put manure in your carrot bed, your carrots will fork!
                      I agree with the others it's a bit late for onions now, but they are still available in my local B&Q so you could still give them a try.
                      Two/three courgette plants will be plenty, they like a nice helping of well rotted manure, if you have surplus courgettes I'm sure your friends will be delighted tohelp you eat them! I've made courgette chutney which was lovely, I also made courgette loaf that wasn't so nice! As already said they do not freeze well.
                      I'm going to try to get a second sowing of peas this year, they freeze really well & are delicious, you can nip the top out of the pea plants, they are delicious in a salad.
                      Cucumbers are again delicious from the garden, I grow mine in grow bags, my neighbour is always on the look out for a free cucumber!
                      Give your potato ground a good dig & add plenty of well rotted manure, watch out for the ruddy slugs! :paladin:
                      I cannot grow a broccoli or cauliflower to save my life :doh:

Could you grow some apple trees, pear trees, fig trees etc, maybe some rhubarb, strawberries etc? :) You could store the apples & pears in your cool shed & cook up the rhubarb & freeze it? Just a thought.

Now I'm waffling....my friends parents live near Bristol they grow everything & grow it very well, they only buy potatoes/veg from the supermarket 6 weeks of the year, the rest of the time they eat what they have grown, they also have chickens for eggs, chickens for meat, sheep for meat & pigs...am I'm envious?? YES very! :whistle: So it can be done & I very much look forward to hearing about your veg throughout the year. Best of luck :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
                      • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                        +46,155
                        The leaflets are here:

http://www.earthlypursuits.com/AllotGuide/DigforVictory1/DigForVictory1_1-4.htm

I would also recommend any of Dr WE Shewell-Cooper's books on vegetable growing, he was from the same era and gives a no nonsense description on how to feed your family from your back garden. His books are often in charity shops, look for "The Complete Vegetable Grower" and "The ABC of Vegetable Gardening" they are often £2 or less. They are exact opposite to the 'modern' charity shop gardening book finds from 'celebrities' which tend to be all photos and little substance.

If you want a low maintenance organic approach then Dr Shewell-Cooper is your man, he started the no-dig movement a great time saving idea.

They are an interesting read and very good for beginners as they tell you practically what to do each day, but do remember the advice is over 60 years old now and many modern varieties will out-perform the old ones mentioned in terms of yield, taste and disease resistance.

• Like Like x 2
                        • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
                          +46,155
                          Still got mine too, just in case :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • nikirushka

nikirushka Gardener

Ratings:
                            +93
                            Brilliant, thanks guys :) I know it's a hefty question!

My current plot is 7x7 feet, sorry, thought I'd put that in. But as I said, I will be expanding that as needed - plenty of space to do so.

Beckie76 - that's the one thing I already know, because it came up on GQT a few weeks back :snork: The carrots will have their own bed for that reason. Everything else I am still learning so all tips welcome!

• Friendly Friendly x 1