1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How many pumpkins per plant?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Freedom_Spark, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Freedom_Spark

Freedom_Spark Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    Hi everyone, I was just wondering if I should limit the amount of pumpkins on my plant? I've hand pollinated two female flowers but more are appearing all the time. Would allowing too many to grow take too much energy & prevent them getting large enough? Any advice welcome.

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Are you you growing them to eat or for size?

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,155
    I limit mine to two, so that I end up with really nice big ones. Wait until the fruit actually start to swell and grow for a few day before pulling off the others because for some reason sometimes the fruit just stop growing and fall off.

4. Freedom_Spark

Freedom_Spark Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    I'm growing them to eat but I'd like them to be a nice size as well. Thanks JWK, I was thinking two or three might be ideal.

5. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,155
    I grow them for carving for Halloween, I did try eating them once, I made Pumpkin Pie but I was the only one in the family that liked it, so I haven't bothered since.

6. Freedom_Spark

Freedom_Spark Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    I love pumpkin pies, pumpkin soup & pumpkin ravioli with pine nuts & sage, I'm, vegetarian & it seems most of my cookery have lots of pumpkin recipes. I'd love to carve one as well though, I'll see what size they end up. Thanks again for the advice.

7. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,155
    Do you grow marrows/courgettes? They are easy to grow and much more productive in the veg plot than pumpkins, and our family all love them to eat.

8. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,976
    I'd tend to say its getting slightly late for setting pumpkins now.

For good sized ones you really need them to be forming in early July.

Having said that, you might get some reasonable ones if we get a warm Autumn, ripening may be a problem.

9. Freedom_Spark

Freedom_Spark Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    Yes, I grow courgettes as well, I'm letting a few of them turn into marrows this year to make some marrow & ginger jam. Courgettes are fantastic, you get so much out of each plant & don't have to worry about pollination! I took three large ones from the garden this evening & I'm in the middle of making creamy courgette lasagne :D I saw someone growing yellow courgettes this year, I'd love to give those a go, I'm sure the taste isn't vastly different but I love the colour.

Pete - I was thinking they were starting late to become large enough but the flowers only opened on mine in august, I think I should have planted earlier. I planted them as an experiment this year but it would have been fantastic if they worked out. Those flowers I pollinated have dropped off & the little pumpkins are growing quite well but you're right that ripening could be an issue, mild autumns where I live are pretty few and far between, mild summers aren't exactly frequent either, if only there was some fruit & veg that loved constant torrential rain, they'd be thriving here these days. Ah well, I'll wait and see with the pumpkins! Thanks for the advice everyone.

10. JWK

Ratings:
    +46,155
    Time will tell pete, I never get very good results with early pumpkins, they just seem to sit in the ground and sulk. Mine have only just set and they are about tennis ball sized, with a bit of luck I'll get some decent ones by Oct.