1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How much of the stuff in my head can you help with?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by GYO newbie, May 7, 2015.

1. GYO newbie

GYO newbie Gardener

Ratings:
    +178
    Thanks for reading. If you can shed light, point me in the right direction or tell me straight, then please do. I am very new to GYO, but also a novice gardener.

Lawn.

I put lawn feed, weed killer, moss killer stuff on the front lawn about 10-14 days ago. Today I mowed and scarified. The lawn is mainly moss and is north facing but I felt I had ignored for too many springs. So questions: Can I sow grass seed at the same time as the moss killer/lawn feed stuff? I think the lawn would benefit from a second covering as the grass was a tad long when the first lot was sprinkled.

Weed control/pathways.

I am expanding faster than I planned. I have put two raised beds on my lawn. They are filled with compost but I am yet to sow. I now think that I should accommodate my walking across the grass and need to keep weeds/grass down around the beds. I was thinking I could put the weed control matting sheet stuff down. If I did should I put something on top? Pebbles or bark? My concerns are when I mow the lawn the grass will blow over.

Strawberries.

When do they become attractive to birds? Mine have little green berries on. Are birds only interested when they turn red?

Re using compost.
    Can I reuse compost? For instance I have a 12 cm pot which I have grown little gems in. Will cut the last bit tomorrow - but can I re-use the compost? If so does it need a feed?

I know I have more questions, but tired and cant think. Will add them tomorrow if I remember.

X

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +46,155
    I would wait a couple of weeks.

You can get plastic staples/pegs that push down through the membrane and will hold the sheet in position:
    http://the-plant-directory.co.uk/we...-of-10?zenid=8f544eb0708cfbca3de9f4c91ad49088
    [​IMG]

They can turn red very quickly so best to get them covered asap.

Best to use the compost to improve the soil in your beds rather than re-use.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • GYO newbie

GYO newbie Gardener

Ratings:
      +178
      Very useful - thanks.

I will put up netting at the weekend, Tuesday at the latest - work and weather permitting.

As for the lawn - I may just scarify again and then I can get the grass seed down next weekend or early the following weekend.

Everything has the potential to be temporary in the garden as I was never sure I would continue with GYO - I WILL THOUGH. But I think I will leave big changes in the garden until next year when I have a clearer idea of what I am doing. That said would you put anything on top of the membrane or just leave it as it is?

Thats a lot of compost being dug into the soil every year - I have 8 grown sacks of potatoes - will all that not be able to be reused? Lord knows where I will put it!

Ta!

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,155
      I tried bark chippings on it once and the blackbirds love it, chucking it all over the lawn. Might look tidier just to leave it as is.

Do you have raised beds you can put that in? Just don't grow potatoes/tomatoes in it next year.

• GYO newbie

GYO newbie Gardener

Ratings:
      +178
      Well I intend on adding another raised bed, maybe two, next year. Sothe used compost used to grow pots in can be used to plant strawberry bushes or grow beetroot in a container - or is the general concensus that I shouldnt?

I think I agree re the bark situation - I guess when I invest a bit more money next year I can put in a raised edge around the 'plot' and then use gravel or or or.

Thanks.