1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How resilient is a holly hedge

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by JimboM, May 17, 2022.

1. JimboM

JimboM Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    We've got a beast of a holly hedge which runs all around our house, it's about 12' high, 6' wide and 500' long. It's an absolute pain to cut and getting rid of the trimmings afterwards is soul destroying.
    I'm contemplating giving it a serious reduction, to about 5' in height so I can allow a bit of growth to have a finished height of 6'. Would also like to trim the side faces quite hard to reduce the overall width.
    Before I start can I just get some input if the hedge is likely to withstand such a drastic pruning as don't want to be left with just a line of dead stumps! Don't know if it makes a difference but the trunks are about 4-6" in diameter at the height I'd be cutting and I'll likely just use the chainsaw. If I can go ahead is there a best time of year to do it?
    Thanks

• Like Like x 1
    • Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
      +12,320
      Hi

its best done over 3 years ... its nesting season so check for nests ... most of us would want your hedge

• Year 1 reduce the height
      • Year 2 reduce one side (only)
      • Year 3 reduce the other side
      after that its just a trim nothing else

you will need to feed and water during the summer .. if you cut it all down in one fell swoop it may die in places and doing it my way will still give you privacy.

Spruce

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,639
      Having had holly in the past I'd get rid of it entirely.
      But that is just my opinion. :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,548
        A couple of deer would work. :biggrin: I'm about to dig my two out as they've badly pruned them.

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
        Ratings:
        +21,255
        Best time to do it? Later on in the year after the birds have left their nests.