How to add worms to a composter?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Daytona650, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Daytona650

Daytona650 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi All,
    I'm new to these forums and this is my first post, so be gentle!

I own a dalek composter that's 80% full, no longer reducing and quite soggy. I'm planning to buy some tiger/brandling worms and add more brown matter to break it down and dry it out.
    Do I literally just buy a bag of worms and throw them straight in? Is there anything I need to do to the composter or worms first? How many worms should I buy?

Thanks,

2. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    If it's already 80% full and soggy you've left it a bit late to add worms and 'browns'. I'd suggest you empty it to about 30% -50% and then add worms and 'browns' and some fresh 'greens' and mix well.
    In my experience you don't need a lot of worms as they multiply rapidly. Our dalek was converted to a 'worm dalek' by adding a handful of worms that our son had left over after a fishing trip. We've now two bins on the go and so many worms that I excavate some every few months and add them to our compost heap where they continue their good work.
    If you are going to buy worms it is probably cheaper to get them from a fishing equipment shop rather than an on-line horticultural site.

(Sorry I'll not be able to answer any follow-up questions as I'm off on holiday in a few hours)