1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How to cook them!

Discussion in 'Hook, Line and Sinker' started by Annemieke, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Annemieke

Annemieke Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +133
    When my husband comes home (from the shops!) with a fish - never the one I asked for - I need to quickly find out what to do with it. How to clean, how to cook, the basics.
    I forgot to say, I like them on the bone.
    This is never as easy to Google up as I expect. Do you know of a website or, if need be, a book, which tells you this, simply?
    Thanks!

2. Kleftiwallah

Kleftiwallah Gardener

Retired by circumstances.
    Ratings:
    +568
  3. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    But you're only about 30 mins from the coast! Despite living in the middle of England, I still aim to catch most of our fish.

4. Annemieke

Annemieke Gardener

housewife
    Ratings:
    +133
    He spends all of his spare time compulsively growing plants ......

• Like Like x 1
    • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
      +19,595
      For fish that are about the right size such that one person gets one whole fish, then the best way (generally speaking) is to bake them wrapped in tin foil, with their belly cavity stuffed with thyme and other flavourings depending on the flavour of the fish.

Flat fish like sole should, in my opinion, only ever be grilled. Grill it belly up literally for seconds, just until the colour begins to change. Then dark side up, drizzled on lemon juice and a bit of olive oil, then grilled until the skin starts to turn crispy.

In all cases, head and tale should still be very much attached (otherwise the flavour just oozes out with the steam, as it cooks).

Gutting and cleaning a fish is simple but gross. This is the technique I was taught.

1. To knock the scales off, grip the fish by its tail in one hand. With t'other hand run the blunt side of a knife length ways down the fish from tail to head end. Rinse regularly.
      2. To gut it, lay the victim on its back in your left hand (assuming you're right handed), and stick one leg of a pair of scissors up its bum, then snip along the belly to about the middle of the fish or just beyond.
      3. Using finger and thumb, pull all its guts out.
      4. Using just your index finger, Poke around for remaining squidgy bits. Some will just poke out, some have to be picked out.
      5. Rinse out the cavity, and then rinse the whole fish to get rid of any blood or unappetising snotty bits.

Simples (but gross).

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Annemieke

Annemieke Gardener

housewife
        Ratings:
        +133
        Not so clueless, then. Thank you! I did not know you had to keep the head and tail on, I always cut them off first and froze them for stock.
        Wow, I'm pleased I came here.
        Now for the pet section.