How to establish soil types?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Karl-D, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Karl-D

Karl-D Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hya folks Im looking into finding out what soil type I have in my side plot.
    After a few searches on the net, I found a couple of interesting test to carry to get a basic idea.
    The first test was to place some of the soil in a coffee jar, about half full and then fill the rest with water to about 1cm of the top of the jar, put on the lid and give a good shake to dissolve the contents of the soil, then allow the contents to settle over approx 24 hours.

Well I did this, I new I had a clay like soil but it wasn't an obvious test result.
    At the bottom I had a fair bit of grit, then went from sand to slightly sandy/much smaller particles, then the clay which I was quite surprised as it only left approx 1.5 - 2mm at the top layer, although the water was still a little clay looking.

The soil does drain well but does crack and go hard during hot sun, so Im even more confused now lol.

The second test was whether Acid or Alkaline soil.
    Well this seemed to be a bit more obvious, I placed a small lump of dry soil in a glass then added some vinegar, to about half the size of the soil.
    The soil started to break down immediately and with a slight white fizzing around the edges, so Im assuming I have a more alkaline type soil?

I did take the jar of soil and water down to the garden center to see if they had a better idea (making sure not to disturb the layers lol) but I just got a dumb look to why I have a jar of soil mixed with water lol then directed me to the testing kits which were to determine the PH.
    I did say to them its to get a % idea of what the soil is made up of to whether I can improve with whats at lower % levels.

I don't think there is masses of organics in the soil and have found very few worms, so will be looking to improve that side of things.

2. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    I've tried several soil test kits in the past and found them to be pretty useless, to be honest. I suppose they might give you some clue of what your soil is like if it's very acid or very alkaline. But anything between those extremes is pretty vague.

I find it simpler to just try test plantings and see how certain plants get on with any particular soil or situation.

3. Lovage

Lovage Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The other simple test for soil is by the texture and feel of it, is it smooth or gritty?
    Does it stick together when wet, can you roll it into a sausage?

4. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    You can't get a test or a kit for it, you'll have to do it yourself, but it's dead easy.

1) Dig down a few inches and get a handful of soil. Sieve it or crush it up to get rid of the stones and clumps, then let it dry.

2) Then, get a small handful and wet it slightly and roll it around in your hand so it is damp and feels like a little lump of chewing gum or something.

-If it feels very gritty and falls apart when you try to roll it into a sausage shape, it's sandy soil.

-If it feels more smooth, and quite silky, and you can just about roll it into a sausage that stays together, it's a nice silty soil.

-If it is heavy and sticky, and you can roll it into a sausage and even all the way into a doughnut shape, it's clay.

5. Karl-D

Karl-D Gardener

Ratings:
    +1

Thanks, it looks like im rolling sausages tomorrow then hahahaha :gnthb: