How to keep my new portuguese Laurel healthy

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Sueemma, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Sueemma

Sueemma Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I just planted some portuguese laurels. They came from a online nursery and to be honest i guess we got what we paid for. They are a bit mis shaped but after planting we cut them all to the same height.
    After planting how do you make sure they stay healthy and the leaves don't go yellow?

excuse the grass its in progress after getting rid of moss

Attached Files:

2. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,078
    Nice and easy to look after. Mine look after themselves. But to give them a good start, i'd give them a good watering regularly,weather dependent of course. A handful of fertiliser would be good too. Keep well pruned as they can get woody and huge if left to their own .

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Sueemma

Sueemma Gardener

Ratings:
      +3

If some leaves turn yellow, what do i do? Is that too much watering or not enough?

• clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
      Ratings:
      +7,618
      Some leaves will turn yellow and fall off - that's normal and nothing to worry about.

Even evergreens lose leaves.

As they have just been planted they will need to be watered regularly until they have had the chance to get their roots into the ground to draw up their own water.:smile:

• clanless

clanless Total Gardener

Gentleman of leisure.
      Ratings:
      +7,618
      Over or under watering will cause leaves to go off colour.

Someone on my allotment - who worked as a groundsman, said to me once "Do you know, more plants are killed by over watering than under watering" - sage advice :love30:.

• Like Like x 1
      • Sueemma

Sueemma Gardener

Ratings:
        +3

Thank you for your advice

• Sueemma

Sueemma Gardener

Ratings:
        +3

Thank you for your advice

• Gardenretreat

Gardenretreat Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +11
        May I jump onto this thread for cherry laurels? (prunus rotundifolia is the variety I have bought) I I have planted them to hopefully eventually create a hedging screen as they grow taller than the fence panels. They took really well until and have grown at least a foot in height in a matter of a few months. I have noticed a couple of weeks ago there are lots of holes, and jagged edges and browning and the leaves going yellow and dropping off. The amount of leaves that have turned yellow and have these cuts and holes in them appear to be quite a lot and very noticeable. Doing some googling has confused me as to what the cause could be: over watering, underwatering, fungus shothole, baterial shothole or mildew....argh! its confusing...help!
        Ive attached photos to show the laurel leaves, and also the leaves of the Amelanchier obelisk that I've recently planted ( a week or two ago) I'd be grateful for any advice as to what to do to ensure healthy plants. :-):please:

Attached Files: