1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How to protect blueberries

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Paul Blackburn, Jul 3, 2018.

1. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    I have five blueberry bushes which have fruit on them now but have noticed that the blackbirds have a taste for them so I need to cover them but not sure what to use.I have netting but the problem is when I try to remove it to pick the berries I lose a lot because the berries catch in the holes in the net and get pulled off.I did think of using fleece.Any ideas appreciated.

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,795
    Basically anything that will keep the birds out! Try inserting some canes to create a frame and Dave the covering or net over that

3. Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    My neighbour uses old net curtains :)

4. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Hiya Paul :)
    Once the blackbirds have a taste of blueberries you can say goodbye to your crop :sad:

I have 2 bushes and erected a temporary net over them suspended over bamboo canes with caps over them well above the fruit. Stretched reasonably tight and totally secured on the soil (the slightest gap and the birds are in). I arrange it so I can lift one side of the netting for access.

Coincidentally, picking blueberries is a task planned for today...looks like a good crop:wheelie:

5. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    I did something like that before and put old yogurt pots on top of the canes and sometimes fixed the net to the top of the canes with clothes pegs.Net curtains sounds like a good idea might be able to pick up some cheap ones.