1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

how to prune a Blackcurrant bush that is being transplanted

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Sian in Belgium, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,233
    I am having to move an establishing blackcurrant bush - it has been in the ground for 3 years, but we are moving house this summer, and this bush has to come with us (huge sentimental reasons).

I have lifted the bush, and placed in the largest pot I could find. I know I need to prune it, to help it cope with the shock. Any advice? 2012-03-14-blackcurrant.jpg
    here is what it looks like (hand trowel left on pot to give an idea of scale). There are shoots coming out at ground level. The pot has been filled with homemade compost - which the hole the plant was "planted out" into was also filled with, so it should be used to the growing medium.

As you can see, I have problems hard-pruning a happy plant. But I desperately want this plant to suvive the move (tears in eyes):cry3: - it just has to. Any help gratefully received...

2. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,698
    Sian, normally Blackcurrants are pruned after harvest and the canes (stems) are reduced in number by a third. First prune out any dead, dieing or diseased stems, then prune out any stems that are growing towards the centre of the plant or that cross another stem, the idea is to end with a bush that is "goblet" shaped.

I was given a Blackcurrant bush last year, probably twice the size of yours (twice as many stems) and I just planted and watered without pruning, it transplanted well and we got a great harvest from it last summer.

I've just moved it again last week to a new dedicated fruit area without pruning and I expect I will still get a good harvest this year, I'll prune after that.

Steve...:)

3. Sian in Belgium

Sian in Belgium Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +9,233
    A few months on, and I've finally planted the blackcurrant in its new home. I hope it likes growing in sand! It has two cuttings and three redcurrant cuttings as companions around it...
    2012-09-12-currants-planted.jpg

• Like Like x 1