1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How to sow and grow Lupins

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Riverman, Apr 11, 2018.

1. Riverman

Riverman Gardener

Ratings:
    +32
    Hi everyone

I love Lupins, but I have never grown them from seed before. I have purchased a packet of Russell Lupin seed and need some advice on how to get them off to a flying start.

I remember someone telling me to soak the seed first but have no idea on what kind of compost to grow them in, should it be a multi purpose or a seed compost. Also do I sow the them in a seed tray or individually in pots, if so will 3 inch pots be to large. Finally at what stage can I plant them out.

Your advice and experience is most welcome :ThankYou: :spinning::spinning::spinning::spinning:

2. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I've grown them from seed with less good results than I expected:rolleyespink:. However out of a packet of Russell I got 12 plants which are now about 5 years old. I didn't soak the seed. Sowed them in individual 3 ins pots as they are not keen on root disturbance so better sown individually I think. Maybe I overdid the moisture as the seeds which didn't make it had rotted. I'd use free draining compost as if you see where Lupins grow wild it is usually poor free draining areas or is where I've seen them. Can't remember when I sowed them but gave the seedlings their 1st winter in an unheated greenhouse as I live in Scotland and thought they would benefit from having an "easy" 1st winter. If you are down in the South I wouldn't think this was necessary. There may well be more knowledgeable members to give you better /accurate advice than I can who will answer your post. I too like Lupins very much altho mine have suffered from the dreaded wooly aphid the last 2 years and I haven't found any sprays available these days to control it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Riverman

Riverman Gardener

Ratings:
      +32
      Ah yes the dreaded aphid, I planted a couple of lupins 5 years ago which I purchased from the supermarket. They was doing fine until these fat aphids descended on them, they literally sucked the life out of them. I had never seen such big aphids and at the time did not want to use pesticide. This time however I am prepared to take them on, although I am a bit concerned that there is no spray that will control them. I was hoping Bug Clear Ultra will deal with them.

• Pushkin

Pushkin Super Gardener

Gardener
      Ratings:
      +1,220
      Wouldn't soapy water deter them?

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,035
      Not come across lupin aphids, I know they are big, but aphids are probably one of the easiest pests to control, in general.
      As for growing lupins from seed, they might not flower this year, but should be good in following years.
      Something I have found when buying mixed strains of seed is to always look after the less vigorous seedlings, as they are often the best flower colour/ combinations.

Any normal compost will do as they will not be growing in it long term.

I'd germinate, then pot on singly into 3.5in pots, grow on and harden off, plant out in May or early June.

• Like Like x 1
      • Riverman

Riverman Gardener

Ratings:
        +32
        I looked up Lupin Aphid on the RHS. This from the link below:

Control

Non-chemical control

• Look for aphids on the underside of leaves from spring onwards
        • Physical control is not easy. Aphids on the foliage and stems might be dislodged with a jet of water or rubbed off by hand but such measures can damage flower spikes
        • This North American aphid does not seem to be kept in check by ladybirds or other aphid predators found in the UK

Chemical control

• Organic sprays, such as natural pyrethrum (e.g. Bug Clear Gun for Fruit & Veg, Defenders Bug Killer, Ecofective Bug Killer (also contains fatty acids)), fatty acids (e.g. Solabiol Bug Free, Doff Greenfly & Blackfly Killer) or plant oils (e.g. Vitax Organic Pest & Disease Control, Origins Bug Control) can give good control of aphids. These pesticides have a very short persistence and so may require reapplication to keep aphid numbers in check
        • More persistent insecticides include the synthetic pyrethroids lambda-cyhalothrin (e.g. Westland Resolva Pest Killer), deltamethrin (e.g. Ultimate Fruit & Vegetable Pest Killer) and cypermethrin (e.g. Py Bug Killer)
        • The systemic neonicotinoid insecticide acetamiprid (e.g. Bug Clear Ultra) can also be used
        Lupin aphid/RHS Gardening

I just realised after reading this that Bug Clear Ultra is a neonicatoid, so no chance of me using that.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +86,035
        I know people hate those insecticides but to be honest i'd prefer to use one single spray of something that actually works, rather than many sprays of washing up liquid that doesn't really work.
        It's just my thinking.

If you bear in mind the farmers are spraying acres and acres of the stuff on their crops, of chemicals the amater cant even get hold of let alone use, then a few gardeners not using chemicals is not really going to have much effect.

• Agree Agree x 4
        • kazzawazza

kazzawazza Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,858
          The day before sowing Lupin seeds you should soak them in a saucer of water. This will just hydrate the seeds and result in quicker germination.

Seedlings should appear within 10 to 15 days.

• Like Like x 4
          • Riverman

Riverman Gardener

Ratings:
            +32
            I am just putting them on to soak :)

I have been googling Lupins and their aphid "friends". One article said they are not a plant suited for organic growing because this particular pest is so hard to control.

I think I will be at the ready with soapy spray but if that doesn't appear to work then I will relent and try something stronger, maybe one of the synthetic pyrethroids.

Can you make up your own soapy spray and is it as effective as commercial ones. If so can anyone give me instructions on how to make it.

• Like Like x 3
              Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
            • silu

Ratings:
              +8,083
              Yes you can cover your hands in sticky squashed aphids and manage to break flowers at the same time, been there, tee shirt bought:rolleyespink: Tried spraying with soapy water, as useful as a chocolate teapot. Any you dislodge without killing just clamber back onto the plants when you back is turned. In my experience you aren't talking about the likes of a greenfly/blackfly attack my now sizeable Lupins were absolutely smothered with the revolting things. If I have a repeat this year I will, regrettably, be digging up my lovely Lupins and burning them, yes that bad!:wallbanging: By far the worst kind of aphid attack I have experienced in my many many years of gardening. I almost prefer the 6 marauding deer that have done a pretty good job of munching down my garden over the winter months. Who said gardening was relaxing?!

• Like Like x 2
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Informative Informative x 1
              • Pushkin

Pushkin Super Gardener

Gardener
                Ratings:
                +1,220
                I used to control them using a soap mixture.
                Make sure you use soap that contains animal fat/vegetable oil as it's this that kills them.
                Don't use a detergent as these don't contain these fats.

• Like Like x 3
                • silu

Ratings:
                  +8,083
                  I used Fairy Liquid, maybe not the right soapy stuff @Pushkin? It might have had a small amount of success but spraying a dozen big Lupins it's pretty difficult to get all the damned things which, even when I did reduce the numbers seemed to come back in bigger squadrons.

• Like Like x 2
                  • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                    +17,487
                    First came across lupin aphid a few years ago. Yes, fat, grey/green and I believe of american origin??
                    I sprayed with a normal insecticide and it was very effective. Trouble is, well the important thing is, to spray well before the flower spikes are forming using a systemic insecticide. Spray when in flower and you will damage the flowers. An organic soap spray is an alternative
                    For past 4 or 5 years I have none of these aphids at all

• Like Like x 1
                    • silu

Ratings:
                      +8,083
                      No you won't have, they have all moved up here:):yikes:. I had grown Lupins for many years with no problems until 2 years ago. Maybe they will decide to return South:fingers crossed:. I'm not joking when I said I had squadrons of them I'm not exaggerating. My plants are now about 3ft wide and strong growing yet the 1st I knew they had been attacked was that they were bending over with the weight of the aphids:rolleyespink:. What systemic insecticide works @Verdun as I have tried the soapy water with pretty much zero success. I hardly use insecticides, the last I bought was Tumblebug about 15 years ago which has been banned for years I think. I don't have any insecticides atm as deal with earwigs with the flowerpot method and don't really want to use insecticides unless having a severe problem as I have with the Lupins.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                      +17,487
                      Hiya Silu....
                      Cannot recall exactly what brand of insecticide I used except it was a systemic one but this year I will use Bug Clear. Two things......it is sensible to change the product from time to time and timing is important.
                      I will spray as soon as I see signs of flower spikes emerging. One spray is enough.
                      A soft soap spray used regularly seems to work on aphids too but this has only a contact effect. Trouble is this is a little time consuming.:)

• Like Like x 1