how to tell when sloes are ripe?

Discussion in 'The GC 'Buttery'' started by lazy-gardener, Sep 1, 2006.

1. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    finally found some sloe (blackthorn) bushes and picked some fruit today. the fruit had a bloom on it but when i got them home i realised that although purple some of them were a bit green on one side so I have discared these. so my questions are: am I a bit too early in picking them and do they ripen up a bit like plums after they have been picked or am I best to wait a couple of weeks? thanks

2. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    The fruit round here is ripening early but I am leaving it a bit longer. They should be fully purple and 'plump' to squeeze but are always harder than plums. I've never tried ripening them. The traditional time to pick sloes is after the first frosts but I think this year a week or two should be plenty. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. lazy-gardener

lazy-gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    hmmm.maybe I was a bit premature then! i will put them into a half bottle of gin and see what happens!

4. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    I'm sure it'll be palatable!!! [​IMG]
    My dad restrained himself to get a 3 year cycle going, the 3 year old stuff was delicious but I always drink mine the Christmas they've been made.I made sloe vodka as well last year as my younger daughter is not fond of gin.
    The only trouble with waiting for ripeness is that other people come and get them first!

5. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Picked sloes today as others had noticed they were early this year, and they were disappearing rapidly. I got enough for a first batch and bought the gin on the way home. I'll put them in the freezer for a short time, instant frost.
    Everyone is out picking berries, wild apples, plums- must go and see what the sweet chestnuts are up to.