1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

How/Why did you name that Critter !!

Discussion in 'Pets Corner' started by MoonLoon, Sep 17, 2006.

1. MoonLoon

MoonLoon Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Taking on from a question Stingo asked about how I got the name for my cats, I was wondering how we all came about the names for our various animal friends.

Stinky Trollop was in a very very poor state when I rescued her. She was soooooo thin, scraggy and small, we thought she was much younger that she appeared. She also had two very 'pungent' abcesses ... so initially we just called her Stinky (having no intention of keeping her!) after several traumatic vets visits to sort out the abcesses and no one wanting her (we'd told the RSPCA and CP that we would have her until her 'owners' were found or another home found) Lots of feeding and love from us her true age became apparent when she all of a sudden went into season.. Anyone who's had to keep a female cat indoors when they are in season will understand the 'tollop' bit :D

Spooky LuLu - well .... that's another story and I'm rabbiting on a bit lol so will save that for later (I've also had a [​IMG] and the delete button is getting overused [​IMG] )

Looking forward to reading about how your 'friends' came about thier names.

[ 01. October 2006, 05:25 PM: Message edited by: MoonLoon ]

2. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    When i went to see rosa she just looked like a rosa and a lot of her names in her pedigree have rosa in it. the dam has barossa and the sire had montrose so it seemes fitting to call her that.

on her pedigree she is called sylarius bella rose.

3. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Afraid our current pets having very boring reasons for their names - both are rescue animals, and we felt it was wrong to change them. We'll soon be getting another dog to be a companion for Bella - but she'll be from a rescue centre too - so same story!

A previous cat was different. She was a kitten saved by a cousin of mine who was a policeman, and taken to my in-laws. When they were discussing names, all sorts of flowers were suggested, and when M-in-law suggested "Pansy", bro-in-law said "You might as well call her Geranium". So - now you know what her name was...... :rolleyes:

4. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
    well dend that cant be bad whether they are rescue or pedigree it makes them all special in my eyes and well what can i say looks like we both have a bella. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Our first dog was a rescue and we kept his name, Sam. Next cam Fenn - the litter were named after herbs and she was Fennel! Then she had a litter and we kept one and named him Sam 2 cos he looked like a Sam. He went on to be known as Babyboy too :rolleyes: Then came our Molly - she was a Moll right from the start and had Sam2 wrapped right around her little paw! Then Daisy - another rescue - we kept her name but soon came to realise she was the most unlikely 'Daisy' ever! She should have been a Dahlia really, shes such a tomboy! Whatever their names we love them very much dont we? [​IMG]

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,730
    Our two recently departed brother and sister were Skwij and Puschka ... t'other just named them then and there off the top of his head! They were both white, he elegant so we called him Sir, and she cuddly and she was Zoosh ... makes sense, huh?

Then when they were four we got Magic Sam. Another of t'other half's names ... I said "who is Magic Sam?" and he said, "a black blues guitarist". He is called Boo because he jumps at his own shadow and is now 11.

Most of you know about Calvos (Cal) and Candida (Candi). We found them a day old in a plastic carrier back outside the Candida bar/cafe in the hamlet of Calvos. That makes sense! Candida means innocense / naiviety and Calvos means open spaces (also bald, which is strange because he has very fine fur, almost bald!).

7. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Our cat was a rescue cat and they chose the name Polly, it seemed daft to change it as she answered to it. Our 1st cat was also rescued and she too was called Polly (our choice as she adopted us). She was nomadic and only stayed til spring but to tell them apart we call her Polly 1. The rabbit was a rescue rabbit which the RSPCA had named Dopey because 7 rabbits were abandoned together. We changed it to Pippin because he is far from Dopey!

8. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Oh and the budgie's called Joey after the character in 'Friends'. Hayley chose that name and his reflection is called Chandler, also from 'friends'. Well he thinks it's another budgie seems mean not to name him!

9. Mona Lisa

Mona Lisa Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Our darling Westie whom we adopted from the SPA here was named Scoti - pronounced like the ow in grown..... we call him Scotty but it's spelled Scoti ..... we also call him Scoops for short !!! :D :cool: M-L

10. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Crikey - reading about your rabbit Celia made me realise Id forgotten mine! I have 8 - Pip (was Pippy longstocking but turned out to be a boy!), Pollyanna, Kamikasi (first one out of the nest and nearly fell out the hutch!) Tui (already named by the rescue). And then my daughters 4 that I have 'acquired' Craig and Miffy, Molly and Gizmo [​IMG]

11. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Did I mantion one of our guinea pigs was called James.......

I did mention a menagerie.... It happens when you like animals and have three small boys!

12. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +50,730
  13. rosa

rosa Gardener

Ratings:
    +14
  14. bettyblue

bettyblue Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    How interesting to read where all their names come from! I've always had cats, 1st ones were Smokey + The bandit, but ironically, Bandit got squished on a busy road, smokey then had kittens: benny, brains, choo choo + TC. Current house guests are Mick + Keith, Rosa worked that out ages ago! Theyre so like their namesakes, Just without the drugs, hopefully!!! Oooops rambling again [​IMG]

15. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I saw on another thread ages ago the names of your two Bettyblue and asked if thats who they were named after!! Did you see them this tour - we did, in Cardiff [​IMG]