1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hummingbird Moth

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Poppy33, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Poppy33

Poppy33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have got to share this...just had a visit to my Valerian,from a Hummingbird Moth [​IMG] I adore these Moths, I remember the very first time I saw one of these lovely moths, I was a child and really thought I had seen a baby Hummingbird. :rolleyes: This is the first one I have seen this year(makes up for not hearing our Cuckoo this year) [​IMG]

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    We had a Hummingbird Hawk Moth in our garden for the first time in 2004.
    I was mesmerised by the speed of the wings.I heard later that because of the hot weather over here at the time, they had come over from the continent.

We also had a couple in the garden last year which was just as thrilling.
    We read that they will overwinter in the garden as pupae which hatch out into new Moths the following year.

We heard 2 Cuckoos this year, which made up for none the year before

Kandy

3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,506
    No Hummingbird Hawk moths so far this year, :( only two last year but several in 2003, no cuckoos either, little egrets and spoonbills make up for their abscence. Hopefully there will be some HHM's here during the summer. [​IMG]

4. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Great news Poppy33 I have just been outside to hang some washing out,and on the way back a moth flew past me.By the sound it made it could only be one thing.My first Humming-Bird -Hawkmoth for this year.
    I grabbed my digital camera and managed to get a few photo's of it feeding on a Primula Vialli

I used the cine camera bit, but wasn't sure how to use it and I was shaking so much.
    I will have to get my husband to download a picture on here so you can all see it.

Talk of the devil.
    It has made my day.I am on a high now.

Kandy

5. Poppy33

Poppy33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Brilliant, their great arn't they [​IMG] I Looked up some info on them yesterday, and it said..they have fantastic memories, often returning to the same plant at the same time each day. ( Think I might have got the forgetful one) no return visit today :( I would love to see your Photos when you download. Iwas telling someone else about the moth, they have also had a visit from a Hummingbird Hawkmoth today, its strange how all of a sudden they all appear together.

6. Poppy33

Poppy33 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ITS BACK :D NOt just one but TWO..its bought a friend along. Just about to give up and start cooking tea and there it was .Kandyfloss have a look in your garden at roughly the same time you saw yesterdays moth, mine was about 40 mins later than yesterday (Thats so fascinating) going to have to look again tomorrow :rolleyes: Better go.. the troops need feeding and I don't think Moths are so high on their list of priorities ;)

7. Kandy

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    I saw mine this morning at about 8am.but if I have to wait till later, I shall be late for work.
    It has been raining tonight, so I am not sure if it will come back tomorrow.

The cine film I took with the digital camera only shows flowers as I was moving the camera so fast trying to film it.No Oscar award for my film photography.

I will see if my husband can download a pickie as I am new to all this

Kandy