1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hyacinth problem

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Lesley Green, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Lesley Green

Lesley Green Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Please take a look at my photos. I bought a load of hyacinths last October and planted them right away. The flowers are very sparce and nothing like what they should look like. Is there any reason for this please? So disappointed.

Attached Files:

2. KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,890
    Hi @Lesley Green ,

I don't think there's anything wrong with them. They will fill out more as more flowers open on the actual flower stem.

Now they are at this stage of growth you can start feeding them. I just use Tomato feed. This will help to build the up the bulb for next year.

Also, remember that you can cut off the odd stem to enjoy indoors ( Hyacinths last well over a week in a vase in a sunny window ) but remember not to cut any leaves off, just the actual flower stem.

The thing to remember with the advertising photos and blurb is that more often than not the photos are photoshopped or the plants are grouped very close together so they appear en-masse.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,328
      @Lesley Green The blue ones look very much like mine and as KFF says will fill out later. I'll stick a photo up later.

• Lesley Green

Lesley Green Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thank you for your response. I emailed the company where I bought them from and was told that this can happen when it has been very wet, which it has so that explains why the ones in the tubs are the same as the ones in the ground. It is probably due to the nutrients being washed away so I'll give them a feed and see if this will help. I still have some yet to come up so it might help those ones. We have had a lot of rain which is unusual for us in East Anglia. Haven' had a proper winter either which no doubt adds to problems.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +85,976
      I've often bought Hyacinth bulbs that have turned out a bit thin like this.
      Personally I think its down to the bulbs, substandard,they should be at flowering peak when sold, and the size of the flower this year is determined from the growth last year.

The thing about wet weather is complete prattle IMO, lets face it you can buy those jars and grow them in just water if you want to.

If you feed well this year they could well be better next year.:smile:

• NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
      Ratings:
      +21,328
      Hyacinth 1.JPG

Blue hyacinth in a fairly damp shady patch of garden, been there for many years

• Like Like x 1