1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hydrangea and brugmansia cuttings

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Peyote, Nov 14, 2010.

1. Peyote

Peyote Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone..i'm new round here 0)

My sis will be in london from 22nd - 26th november and i am really dying to grow hydrangea. I live in egypt and we do not have hydrangea here. i found it once but they were selling the plant itself and it was really expensive.
    I already have 2 brugmansia trees that suffered from red spider mites :cry:but i think they r getting better now. They love it here in Egypt; mild winters and hot summer :P but i need some variety in the colors as i adore this plant.
    I just need some help finding nurseries that sell cuttings of those 2 plants in london or new forest cause those are the only 2 places she will be visiting during her stay.
    One last thing, i'm ordering seeds and bulbs from www.dobies.co.uk and www.unwins.co.uk , r they any good? i'm ordering huge quantities. IF u have any other trustworthy websites that u can share as well it would be great.

Thanks..
    Keep it green and colorful

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    I am not sure you be able to take live plant material (cuttings) from the UK to Egypt - for many countries that would be illegal - in order to prevent the accidental transmission of disease.

I don't know the law in Egypt, but in many countries there is either a free-flow of plant material, or you would be required to get a phytosanitary (I think that is the right term) certificate as aguarantee that the plant material is disease free.

Seeds are usually fine, and allowed to be send between countries, but again you need to check with your authorities.

Both Dobbies and Unwins are well known names in the UK, and have good reputations.

Brugmansia will grow fairly easily from seed. I expect you can get seed closer to Egypt, but Jungle Seeds in the UK have a selection of Brugmansia seeds.

Hydrangeas grow easily from cuttings. Can you get a Hydrangea flower at a florist in Egypt? the stems of Hydrangeas have little "marks" (I definitely don't know the correct term for this!!!) on the stem which are the basis for root formation, and they can grow roots readily. If you can get a long stem Hydrangea flower from a florist in Egypt then I would expect you can cut it into 4 inch / 10cm lengths and just plant them as cuttings.

3. Peyote

Ratings:
    +0
    I ve never seen Hydrangea at any florist in egypt. I was able to get some bulbs and cuttings into egypt before from turkey and india, so i think i am goin to give it a try this time..for brugmansias, yeah i may consider growing them from seeds.
    i googled many nurseries in uk and they do not have hydrangeas among thier collection, do u know any place that is selling cuttings? it does not have to be online btw...
    i think the right term for marks is "nodes" :D not sure though.. :D
    i have tulips, papaver danish flag and Gloxinia Violacea in my shopping basket right now :D
    Thank you alot kristen ..hugs

4. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +28,418
    I personally don't think Hydrangeas will grow very well in Egypt due to the high temperatures, they also suffer badly from lack of water. Unless they are irrigated they will probably collapse so often that they will shrivel up.

5. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +85,725
    We are a strange bunch of people us gardeners.:D

Peyote wants to grow hydrangeas which are likely to shrivel in the heat, and I'm wanting to grow date palms:lollol:

Still its nice to have a challenge.

6. Peyote

Ratings:
    +0
    i'm gonna give up then :(...we used to have them back in italy all over the terrace, mum missed them :(...anyway i still have other questions for u :D
    so i noticed on dobies that they do not deliver Gloxinia Violacea except in feburary, so do u know any nurseries over there in london that sell the bulbs in november?

Thanks
    xoxo

7. gardenlearner

gardenlearner Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    peyote,

out of curiosity where do you live in egypt?

I used to live in zamalek and i found it hell to grow anything decent. Maybe the Cairo pollution?

I've heard pollution has improved slightly now.

8. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I would agree with Kristen about Brugmansia seeds. I have just bought some from them. They offer seeds from hybrids, which come in yellows and pinks as well as white.