Hydrangea Cutting Wilted....

Discussion in 'NEW Gardeners !' started by Sally Parker, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
    +145
    Around two weeks ago, I took a Hydrangea cutting and although it wilted at first, when I found out exactly what I was doing wrong, it soon picked up and was really healthy looking....Until yesterday. :(

Yesterday, I took the clear bag off I had been using to cover it and put it on the window sill where it was nice and bright and over the space of a couple of hours, it had wilted. I have been misting it daily and the soil wasn't bone dry, so I misted it again and gave it a bit of water, but 24 hours later and it's looking worse! :(

What could be the problem?? I really don't want it to die as I took the cutting from my Mum's beautiful plant, from her garden and it's more special because of that, as my Mum is very ill and I can't get to see her too often, so wanted something to nurture from her garden.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Totally understand why that cutting is so precious. If you get to see her again soon, take at least half a dozen cuttings to up your chances of success :grphg:

For the one which you already have, I would move it away from the window. Hydrangeas quite like cooler positions, especially at the cuttings stage.

When I first wanted to take cuttings, I created a thread and was given first class advice (see Hydrangea Propagation ). Very successful it was too. Now, I simply stick a bit in a pot in a cool, shady area of the patio and have had success that way too.

Good luck with your cutting, I'm confident you can pull it back around. Good luck to your Mum as she battles against illness and for you as you battle along with her :grphg:

• Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
      +145
      Thanks so much for the kind reply Total Gardener. :spinning:

I really do think it's had it though. :frown: It looks totally wilted now and I wish I had done as you said and took a few cuttings, but I just didn't realise that it would be so hard to be successful with just one, especially as I had the hormone rooting powder and everything.

Think I will give up on the cuttings and just try and buy one similar to my Mums plant, for now and then when I do go there again, will take a couple more and try again then.

Thanks again.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Please do not give up ... it could still rally!
        Pop it in a shady corner (outside); keep it moist but out of direct sun and then :fingers crossed: Also, ensure that you only have the top leaf (not several) so that all the energy is put into growing roots.
        This is far too precious to give up on now :blue thumb:

Any chance you could post a photo so we can actually *see* what you are trying to deal with?

• Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
        Ratings:
        +6,543
        Hi @Sally Parker if you manage to get more cuttings as "M" suggested it might be a good idea to try and root them as n a small jar of water.The other year I snipped off a couple of pieces from off of my hydrangea and popped each of them into a couple of those little glass jars that you can get which has meat or fish paste in them and then I pop them on to a window sill changing the water when it starts to go a bit green and although it takes a couple of months eventullay I have found they send out roots and when there is a good clump of roots I pull them out of the jar and pop them up into 3" flower pots full of cutting compost and grow them on until the flowerpot is full of roots and then I put them out into the garden border.If you do them now it will probably be next spring before they are ready to go out into the garden because now we are heading towards Autumn I don't think there will be enough time to get them established before the winter sets in as they will still be quiet small plants...:smile:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
          +145
          Have kept it out of direct sun and also, only kept three small leaves on it....Should I cut off another one??

Yes, I will post a photo a bit later. :smile:

Thanks. :spinning:

• Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
          +145
          That sounds like a good idea Kandy, I will give that a go! :dbgrtmb: Yes, was thinking that even if this 'one' survives, I will probably still keep it inside until spring, in case we another really cold winter this year, like last year.

Thanks for reply. :spinning:

• Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
          +145
          Ok, thought I would take a photo of the cutting 'sooner' rather than later, so here it is. It's always had that bent over stalk, it's just the leaves that have wilted. Maybe I should remove that bigger leaf on the right??

Attached Files:

• Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
          Ratings:
          +6,543
          Yes @Sally Parker i would definitely gently take off that leaf on the right as it looks like it has wilted.Keep the two that we can see in the photo.

If you are going to keep it in that plastic bag you might need to take off the bag and try and dry it out a little because if there is too much moisture in the bag and there isn't enough warmth to dry it out a little it could make the cutting rot.One reason why I like to give the water treatment a go.Cuttings do not like sitting in cold wet compost in a cold wet atmosphere.

The cutting still looks ok at the moment but it needs the right kind of conditions in which to root.:smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
            Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
          • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
            Ratings:
            +84,318
            Try using a cut down soft drink bottle as a dome, it's easier to remove from time to time, if you use the top end you can leave the cap off which allows some ventilation and helps reduce rotting.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Sally Parker

Sally Parker Gardener

Ratings:
              +145
              Thanks for advice. Cut off the larger leaf earlier and left the bag off for most of today, as it was very cool in the room it is in. It's warmer now though, so have put the bag pack on. Pete, a bottle's not really a good idea as it will most likely touch the plant, so think I'll stick with the bag fro now and just hope it doesn't rot!

The remaining leaves still look a bit wilty. I hope it will be ok in the end. :frown: