1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hydrangea not growing after being damaged three years ago

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by Kevin Cowans, May 18, 2020.

1. Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,064
    Hello all

I hope you are well.

I have a Hydrangea Macrophylla in the back garden that was damaged a few years ago and had to be hard pruned to about 6" high.

Since that time it has not grown well at all and is still only approximately 12" tall.

I have tried Hydrangea food etc. over the years but with no improvement.

I have another one approximately 5m away from this one which is currently 1.5m tall and is in flower.

This is how it looks as of now:

2020-05-18 13.37.44.jpg

Since it has been this size for nearly 3 years now, I am considering replacing it, do you think that would be the best course of action?

Thanks in advance

Kevin

2. Kevin Cowans

Kevin Cowans Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,064
    Hello all

Just a quick update.

I have done some very careful digging around the base of the Hydrangea and the roots on one side are mushy and smelly.

I have now removed the Hydrangea and disposed of it as I do not want anything spreading to nearby plants.

I will get a replacement sorted.

Thanks

Kevin