1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hydrangea problems.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by RWM, Oct 20, 2006.

1. RWM

RWM Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I wonder if anyone could give me advice on a hydrangea that seems to be poorly in my garden.

First the history. There used to be a rather large hydrangea on my lawn under my cherry tree which although didn't look the best was we developed and flowered. Now I took it out as I was going to flatten off the lawn and re-seed but that didn't happen so I decided to plant a new one in it's place several months later. I know bad error wish I had never done it and removing the roots was a mare!

Ok I planted the new one about 4 months ago after buying it from a garden center here in Cardiff. Its not very big but at the beginning i think it suffered from being a little under watered as sometimes I'd come home from work and it would look droopy. A good watering and it was Ok the next day. The problem I face is a lot of the leaves are turning yellow which i remove easily. In addition, some of the leaves look brown at the edges and brittle as if someone has taken a match to the edges if you know what I mean.

Any idea what the problem may be? Do I need to add a nutrient to the soil? I have no idea what the soil type is. I was considering putting some bark around the base of the plant to try and lock in moisture in.

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

Russell.

2. Hornbeam

Hornbeam Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Welcome RWM :D

Hydrangeas, as their name suggests, like a lot of water. They also like soil that is moisture retentative and enriched with well decayed manure or compost. They hate very alkaline soils which will make their leaves go yellow, but I wouldn't have thought that was a problem in Cardiff. Semi-shaded position is better than full sun which can cause leaf scorch. Yours may just have got too dry or it may just be because its now autumn.

Top dress it with some good lime free compost from a garden centre and see what it looks like in the spring.

3. RWM

RWM Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that Hornbeam.

Had a close look at it tonight and there is lots of new buds appearing on the stems but even some new leaves turn yellow quite quickly but it may be because Autumm is coming. It was quite cold this morning and as you say it may thrive in spring. I'll do as you say.

R.

4. marge

marge Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Youre one up on me RWM, mine are looking proper poorly - I guessed lack of water this hot summer - no buds yet - am living in hope :( (Mine are long-established)

5. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    I have a well established climbing hydrangea which does lose it's leaves in the winter, they are in fact turning yellow now. Not sure if they have the same habit as "ordinary hydrangeas". I usually leave the flower heads on untill the new flowers appear as it gives the plant some protection against frost.

Good luck with yours RWM ;)

6. high kype

high kype Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    rwm maybe you should have put it in a large pot for the winter if it was a young one i have got two of them cep one pot and one garden the one in garden is not to bright the one in pot is doing fine

7. jazid

jazid Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sounds like chlorosis. MAybe the soil in that patch is a bit alkaline. It wouldn't hurt to water some sequestered iron around the base (sequestrene or similar) now and in spring, or slap some peat on the ground around its base - meanwhile apologizing to the environment and Hornbeam. It my not help, it can't hinder the plant.

8. high kype

high kype Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks jazid ill give that a go

9. revs

revs Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I live in London & had a hydrangea in my garden for about 5 years. It's being attacked this year by some kind of parasites that are powdery white sticky things in a caterpillar like shape. They're on the leaves & branches & the flowers have died before blooming. Is there anything I can do to save the plant? They don't seem to have gone for any of the other plants

• Like Like x 1
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      Welcome to GC, "revs". :sign0016:

I don't have an answer to your question, but we have some extremely knowledgeable and experienced gardeners among us and I'm sure they will be able to give you some clues (or even a definitive answer!) when they come along.

I know you say your location is London, but, perhaps you can also be a little more specific about where your plant is situated; the soil it is in and the aspect?

By which I mean: is it in a container, or in the ground? Which may also explain, is it in compost or soil? (London = heavy clay soil?). Is it in full sun (e.g. south facing), part shade or full shade?

Do you know the variety of hydrangea you have?

The more information you can provide, the more accurate the response may be given :)

• revs

revs Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      Hi, thanks for the reply :) It is in the ground, south west sheltered position, in mainly shade. The soil doesn't seem to be particularly clay like - I'm in South West London. Not sure of the variety of hydrangea unfortunately, but it's always done really well every year until the last few weeks

• Like Like x 1
      • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +31,885
        Thanks for clarifying, revs.

Now I'll move along and let those who know better than I get a word in edgeways :heehee:

• Yana

Yana Gardener

Ratings:
        +12
        Hello lovely gardeners, I hope you are all fine and enjoying nice weather?!
        I need your help. Two months ago I was given a hydrangea that was in a black plastic pot in compost situated on full sun. Its leaves started turning dark red from edges and dry. I thought it was scorch but it is two months now after I have planted it into clay soil mixed with topsoil and compost with lemon acid and hydrangea feed later. I started growing better and a lot of new leaves that appear on new branches appeared but they are doing the same - turning dark red from the edge. Is it a Cercospora leaf spot?
        Thank you very much for any advice. IMG_0035.JPG IMG_0036.JPG IMG_0037.JPG IMG_0038.JPG IMG_0040.JPG IMG_0043.JPG