1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hydrangea with no blooms

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by uzma isa, Jul 2, 2018.

1. uzma isa

uzma isa Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi,

I'm a novice gardener and I have planted a Hydrangea in my front garden from B&Q about 3 weeks ago.

I've planted in a position I think that is appropriate per the label. I have taken care not to over or under water it.

My question is since I have planted the hydrangea, the orginal 2 flowers are still there but no new buds have appeared. The leaves look healthy and green.

I planted two other plants - some fuschias a week later next to it but these were planted with some miracle grow fertiliser and these are doing well with new buds appearing.

I have searched extensively on the internet as to why my hydrangea are not blooming and the only conclusion I reach that's appropriate is that there is too much nitrogen in the soil, possibly from some of the fertiliser I mixed into the soil when planting the other plants.

Would there be any other reason for no buds appearing?
    Also if the problem is too much nitrogen, is leaching the only solution to making the plant bloom? I read on the internet maybe adding mulch might help but I am not sure. Please someone help as I feel very disheartened!!!!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Pushkin

Pushkin Super Gardener

Gardener
      Ratings:
      +1,220
      It might be still settling in.
      I would think any blooms this year would be a bonus.
      Expect some flowers next year.

• Like Like x 3
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Hiya uzma, please just relax :)
        Do you know what type of hydrangea you have? Check the label.
        Buds will probably not appear this year now. It needs time to settle. Hydrangeas likea lot of water but dont go mad and dont water every day for the sake of it.
        I'm sure there is no problem....the internet is full of worrying but misleading info.
        Your hydrangea is a plant for flowering next year. Just let it settle in :)

• Like Like x 1
        • KFF

KFF Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +5,890
          Hi @uzma isa , I agree with Pushkin. Hydrangeas are not " instant " flowerers like Fuchsias. Thet need a couple of years to settle in. We planted a Hydrangea " Annabelle " two years ago and although we had a couple of heads on it last year this year it has really taken off. It's about 3' tall and has about 8 or 9 heads on it. Just be patient, next year it should be a lot better :)

• Like Like x 1
          • redstar

redstar Total Gardener

Domestic Goddess
            Chester County, PA, USA, Plant zone 4 & 5
            Ratings:
            +10,523
            I agree, I have 13 types, and they like to have their roots settled in first. some don't show for 2 years because of it. just hang in there.

• Like Like x 2
            • uzma isa

uzma isa Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
              +5
              Thank you for your replies. Will do just that.

• Like Like x 2
              • Friendly Friendly x 1