1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hydrangea

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by fumanchu, Feb 27, 2021.

1. fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
    Ratings:
    +432
    Would hydrangea do well in a large tub on a west facing patio? I've never grown it before. And is there any type I should go for or avoid? TY!

• Like Like x 1
    • JR

JR Chilled Gardener

Retired oil magnate
      Ratings:
      +2,381
      Yes it would be fine. I've grown mop heads in tubs successfully and they appreciate part shade. One thing they do like is plenty of water in hot dry spells.
      If you let them dry out in summer the foliage droops and the flowers turn brown prematurely.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
        Ratings:
        +432
        Ok thanks very much!

• Like Like x 1
        • luis_pr

luis_pr Gardener

Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas, USA; USDA Zone 7b/8a
          Ratings:
          +125
          Hmm, do you have any idea how cold/heat "protected" plants are in your type of tub during the summer or winter months in your Scottish hills?

Normally, picking a mophead/lacecap hydrangea is a matter of choosing the one you prefer amongst the mopheads/lacecaps hardy in your area. But when planting in containers, read the plant label and see if the "estimated" height and width dimensions will 'work' on the container that you will be using. Some varieties of mopheads and lacecaps are remontant; if you can find one that is remontant (called rebloomers in commercial advertising), I would put that variety ahead of the other ones. Be aware that when planted in containers, you will need to amend the potting soil regularly to replace lost nutrients and to maintain the potting soil somewhat acidic.

Normally, on this side of the Atlantic pond, my summers in the southwest part of the United States (Texas) are harsh on hydrangeas. Thus, they appreciate east/north locations and afternoon + evening shade, especially the macrophyllas and serratas that produce mophead or lacecap blooms. Over here, I would not place them on the west side during the summer months but you may be 'ok' in Scotland... assuming that being outside during winters will also be ok (I have had to bring the potted hydrangeas inside during the winter as the flower buds and/or roots may be injured if it gets "too" cold in my non-tub containers). Mulching and deeply watering before the cold arrives helps them though.

Good luck and enjoy. Post pictures of the finished project when you can. Note that you may need to drill some extra holes in some tubs to get proper drainage.

• Agree Agree x 1
          • Informative Informative x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
            Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
          • fumanchu

fumanchu Gardener

Retired thankugod
            Ratings:
            +432
            Luis I've recently moved down from my hills, am now down at 800ft asl and my new neighbour says hydrangea does well here. Weather a lot softer here, we've only had a few inches of snow whereas my old house had 4ft drifts :biggrin:
            I could put it in the garden round the back, but I've got a patio/paved bit at the front door that needs showy flowers and thought it would look good there. I'll do more reading into planting things in tubs. TY.