1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Hypericum calycinum...Rose of Sharon

Discussion in 'Roses' started by dymondlil, Jun 21, 2009.

1. dymondlil

dymondlil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All! This is probably a daft question :o ....but could I keep a Rose of Sharon in a large pot rather than plant it in the ground?
    I have a ''problem area'' in the corner of the garden, dominated by very tall conifers that have drained the sparse soil of any goodness. I've put chippings down but would like to put a colourful plant there to brighten things up a bit. Thanks in advance!:)

2. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Yes. Rose of Sharon is tough and can put up with some pretty inhospitable conditions. But it probably won't grow as big as it would if planted in the soil.

Don't forget to water it because its roots will fill the pot quickly and won't have any reserves of moisture.

3. terrier

terrier Gardener

Ratings:
    +12
    You could dig out a spades depth of soil to the dimensions you want, line it with poly sheet spiked with holes for drainage, put the soil back mixed with compost and plant in that.

4. dymondlil

dymondlil Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Oh that's a good idea Terrier! :) But I think initially I'll try it in a large pot , in position, and if it thrives under the trees then I'll plant it as you suggested next year. Thank you both for your replies. :)