1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

I also went to ETON

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Mike Allen, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    Just a bit of humour.

Recently I mentioned, possibly in the Brexit forum that I also went to Eton, (Eton college) Mr Cameron and Mr Boris Johnson, plus other politicians. Come to think of it. Perhaps some of whatever haunts the corridors of that place has rubbed off.

I, along with fellow 'Learners' were warmly greeted. By the Vice Chancellor. A quick tipple, that had a very strange taste. Various comments were shared between my colleagues.....probably' 'passed by the management'

Then a high speed tour of the college. Classrooms as such, resembled something from Dickens. 'Students' aka prisoners at stalag Eton. No such things as desks. The student would spend the academic day, standing at what resembled a preacher's rostrum.

Next. Minus the fanfare of trumpets!. Gentlemen. May I introduce to you. Mr. E A Bowles. Eton College's renown ..........................''''''''Head Groundsman'
    At this juncture I have to come clean.

I and my friends were visiting. The visit had been arranged by UCL (university college London) We were undergoing our groundsmanship training course. At the time Eton, was considered to have the creme' de la creme of sports fields, especially the cricket.

Forgive me please, but. Standing before us now was the 'Pre- Capt Mannering of Dads Army. Short-arsed rounded pompous man. Bowler hat, black jacket and barristers striped trousers.

Come the end of the visit. Hand shakes all round and the journey home. Go on Ted. Mark out that wickey in your best suit.

I completed my course with passes/certificates in groundsmanship. Science and practice of turf culture. Atheltic Stadium and sportsground management.

Thanks friends for coming along and sharing in with me. YES I and WE. Went to Eton

• Funny Funny x 2
      Last edited: Sep 9, 2019