1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

I can't claim any credit for this one.

Discussion in 'Members Hobbies' started by Doghouse Riley, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    I thought I'd mentioned this, but maybe not.

You could say my garden is full of "projects"
    It runs in the family.
    I thought I'd share this with you.
    Youngest son had this in mind since his early twenties, but it took nearly twenty years, before as we say, he felt he could "justify the expense."

He imported this forty-year-old banger from Utah, (no rust to speak of)

[​IMG]

and over a year, with some help from his partner's brother-in-law who has a body shop, but much of it he did himself (and she made the curtains)over 18 months, turned it back into this,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The reclining seats put in by the American owner were ditched in favour of "originals" (you have to have it "right" don't you?)

It's now as it was in 1967, with exception of memory-foam filled leather seats and recently added big stereo system and TV. They spent nearly every week-end of the summer camping in it.
    This one has had a new engine, gearbox and steering and while it's tucked up in its heated garage for the winter, he's going to have disc brakes fitted.
    The blue one in this services car park, flew past them on the motorway on the way to Cornwall (although they were doing over sixty) this summer.
    About 20 miles further on they turned into the services and saw it.
    Likeminded enthusiasts tend to gravitate. It turned out that this one had lowered suspension, wide alloys, low profile tyres and a Porche engine.
    But you can go too far.

[​IMG]

These 13 window or "splitties" as they are called, in good condition are the most sought after.

His partner must love him, she had to put up with bits of it all over the house for months. The irony of it all is that she's quite tiny so her feet won't reach the pedals so she can't drive it! (note the bottle opener on the door pillar above her left shoulder..priorities!)

[​IMG]

(You never see him and Bruce Willis at the same time).

[​IMG]
    One or two set backs on the way, some he can laugh about now.
    Like his dad he gets himself organised. Before it was sprayed the base coat of cream, he removed all the lights and other electrics on the dashboard (not that there's much) and labelled all the different coloured wires with tabs so he'd be able to reconnect them without a problem. When it had been sprayed, all the tabs...and the wires themselves, were cream! It took him and an auto electrician a day to sort it out

2. capney

capney Head Gardener

Retired and glad of it.
    Ratings:
    +1,320
    What a great story.. we also have a member of our family going through the same pains at the moment. Not sure what model but I know they love it.