1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

I could almost take up flower arranging

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Tiarella, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Tiarella

Tiarella Optimistic Gardener

Ratings:
    +120
    I thought this was the most appropriate thread to post these photos of flower arrangements that I saw at the Kent County Show recently:
    [​IMG]
    I haven't seen flowers arranged quite like this before:
    [​IMG]
    and I was very taken with this arrangement:
    [​IMG]
    I thought they were inspirational and I could almost take up flower arranging myself if these are examples of how it's done nowadays.

• Like Like x 7
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
    • miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,389
      well here is an article for you, Tiarella, which I put together a while ago and I find quite interesting.

Flower Arrangement

A nice bouquet of well arranged flowers always gives a welcoming atmosphere to any room. There are different shape of vases and bowls that can be used for the purpose of arranging flowers. A pre-determined shape or, simply, the mood of the moment can inspire you.
      The bouquet should blend to the colour of the container or, should this be of neutral colour, to the colours of the room. The foliage can be added in order to soften and better blend the composition.

A colour palette can help you decide the desired effect. You can just pick up a sample of paint shades at your local decorator for example. The shades which are close to each other are meant to blend better. As a general rule it is better to have the flowers with darker shades at the base of the arrangement and those with lighter shades at the top.

The size of the bouquet will vary according to that of the container. Generally speaking the height of the flower material should not be above two times the height of the vase. If it is a low bowl it should not go above two times the width of the bowl itself. A bowl arrangement, because it is so low, it is suitable for example on a dinner table, where guests have to talk across them. In this case the flower scent should be very subtle, if any. A tall, important arrangement, will suit rooms with a high ceiling. A small room will improve its look if a bold colours flower arrangement is placed against the wall.

Fresh flowers can be placed on a pinholder which comes in a variety of shapes, or on a light wire structure. This structure could be as simple as a chicken wire mesh crumpled together, or some easy pliable wire, again arranged so that many small spaces to insert the stems are created. If it is necessary to anchor the base because the flowers are too heavy, some plasticine under the base can be used.
      For dry flower arrangement, green sponges or structures made of straws, twigs or wood can be used, since they don’t have to be dipped into water.

Using seasonal flowers or your own flowers will bring down the cost of the bouquet. The flowers can have different characteristic. They can stand upright or have a floppy stem. This should be taken into consideration if we want to achieve a straight line or curved.

Some well know arrangement shapes are:
      the torch shape which is ideal for tall flowers and dry flowers. Types used are for example: Delphinium, peach blossoms, daisies, sorgium, achillea, phalaris.
      The round shape.For example a large blossom right in the middle and blackberries, miniature lemons and other short stem flowers disposed working from the middle outwards.
      The triangular shape, which starts with tall flowers in the middle, gradually descending to the sides. Euphorbia, orchids, gerbera, carnation, freesia, forsythia are suitable.
      The S curve shaperequires pliable tall flowers and some shorter stems or greens such as ivy at the base.
      The fan shape, low and symmetrical, uses for example orchids and “muscari” hyacinth.
      The crescent shape, shaped like a half moon, uses violets, freesias, anemones, small roses.
      Finally there are the oriental shapes, where the position of the flower have a precise meaning: “heaven”, “man”, “hearth”, “mountain”, “meadow”, “helpers”.

Flowers/plants have also a meaning. For example: ivy means a promise of faithfulness, orange flowers purity and fertility, wheat wealth and prosperity.

• Tiarella

Ratings:
      +120
      Oooooh, thank you miraflores, I have copied your article for further perusal. I think I usually adopt the triangular shape with my own garden flowers, currently rudbeckia in the middle with alchemilla mollis around them. I don't know what to put with my pale pink phlox though.

• Like Like x 1
      • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
        +0

• Like Like x 2
        • HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +16,246
          One off Monty Pythons finest characters :blue thumb:

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          He taught me everything I know about comparative flower arranging:dbgrtmb::love30:

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
          +0

The Alchemilla would look nice Tiarella ...though it's fading now ...but i've got a thing for lime green with pink...i love those pale/lime green Hydrangers....sorry don't know the variety:dbgrtmb:

• miraflores

Ratings:
          +2,389
        • miraflores

Ratings:
          +2,389
          • Like Like x 1
          • Tiarella

Ratings:
            +120
            Lurved the video clips :snork: and thanks for the pics & suggestions, I must be more adventurous.

• Like Like x 1