1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

"I Don't Believe It!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Doghouse Riley, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    We bought a new fridge/freezer last September, because the Bosch we had for ten years went U/S.
    Deciding on a "decent one," we chose a Meile from John Lewis, it wasn't cheap at £799.
    For the last few days the temperature of the fridge part has been over the place.
    Meile's office was closed on Saturday until this morning. After hanging on for fifteen minutes, I finally got through.

The installation of a new computer system, I was told has caused chaos.

I've booked a service call. The earliest they can come is 3rd of April.

I'm not best pleased!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Hi @Doghouse Riley it shouldn't be like that for the amount you paid and service today is poor on many area's of issues :dunno:

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +118,330
      April seems rather a convenient date to me :th scifD36: Don't let them take you over the six month period :old:

You shouldn't be contacting Miele as your contract is with John Lewis. The retailer is the person responsible. Phone John Lewis and tell them to repair it straight away or replace it. Also tell them that failing that you reject the goods and want your money back.

Mention the Consumer Rights Act - although John Lewis should be quite helpful. The Consumer Rights Act 2015 became law on 1 October 2015, replacing three major pieces of consumer legislation - the Sale of Goods Act, Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations, and the Supply of Goods and Services Act. It was introduced to simplify, strengthen and modernise the law, giving you clearer shopping rights.

The first six months
      If you discover the fault within the first six months of having the product, it is presumed to have been there since the time you took ownership of it - unless the retailer can prove otherwise.

During this time, it's up to the retailer to prove that the fault wasn't there when you bought it - it's not up to you to prove that it was.

If an attempt at repair or replacement has failed, you have the right to reject the goods for a full refund, or price reduction if you wish to keep the product.

The retailer can't make any deductions from your refund in the first six months following an unsuccessful attempt at repair or replacement.

The only exception to this rule is motor vehicles, where the retailer may make a reasonable reduction for the use you've already had of the vehicle after the first 30 days.

If you'd prefer to keep the goods in question, you can request an appropriate price reduction.

Six months or more
      If a fault develops after the first six months, the burden is on you to prove that the product was faulty at the time you took ownership of it.

In practice, this may require some form of expert report, opinion or evidence of similar problems across the product range.

Don't let the B....rs get to you :paladin: :) You have the rights, but you're short of time.

Good luck. :thumbsup:

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        That's it mate don't mince your words [​IMG]...let them have it :whistle:

It's all about decorum @shiney ...so I've been told :snorky:

• Funny Funny x 1
        • shiney

Ratings:
          +118,330
          I spent 35 years giving consumer advice, free of charge, and I don't take prisoners! :heehee:

I also tell consumers when they're in the wrong - somewhere over 50% of the time unfortunately. There's no remedy for mistakes, stupid or otherwise. :noidea: If you buy something and don't like it then you're not entitled to your money back - but some companies are quite good, so it's always worth asking. :)

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Gail_68

Gail_68 Guest

Ratings:
            +0
            But do you use Decorum :what: @shiney ...that is the question [​IMG]

• shiney

Ratings:
            +118,330
            Of course I do! With complete propriety and appropriateness. :thumbsup: :pathd:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
              Ratings:
              +4,411

Thanks for that, but as a retired superstore general manager which sold "everything," I'm well aware of the Sale of Goods Act, having used it to my advantage in many past instances.

John Lewis/Meile give a two year guarantee on this. What I want is it fixed. I don't want a new one, as that would cause a lot of hassle. Everything would have to be removed from the present one and it'd take 24 hours for the new one to come down to temperature.

It's probably a software problem as the freezer section is working fine. As there's only one compressor, I would imagine the fridge draws cold air from the freezer section, controlled by a thermostat.

I've contacted both Meile and John Lewis, expressing my displeasure by e-mail.

Once the thing is fixed, I will be going down the road of compensation.

We had a problem with a Bosch washing machine last year, which we'd had for a similar length of time, which wouldn't do a second load after completing one. You had to wait a couple of hours before it would work again. Of course when an engineer came out to it they could find nothing wrong with it. So next time it happened I made a video of it refusing to work after completing a load, making several attempts. I sent that to Currys in an e-mail and they arranged for it to be replaced. This was a different situation as it didn't cause much bother.

I'm photographing the display of the fridge freezer, noting dates and times when it's misbehaving.

I have every confidence that things will be resolved to my satisfaction.

We had another problem with a Hotpoint tumble dryer, in that it was one of those identified as possible a fire hazard. All are if people can't be bothered to clean the naffin' filter.

It was less than a year old, but I was happy for Hotpoint to come and make the necessary alterations, rather than have it replaced. Less hassle.

Fortunately I was one of those who took action before it became a widely publicised scandal. So it was fixed within a couple of weeks of my phoning in. It's been working perfectly since,as it was before, but then we've always cleaned the filter after each use and I vacuum out the exhaust hose from outside occasionally.
              Fabric conditioner makes the lint a bit sticky, which is probably one of the problems with them.

• Like Like x 1
                Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
              • Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
                Ratings:
                +4,411
                I sent a strongly worded e-mailed complaint to John Lewis, "a bit more than the equivalent of a Paddington Bear hard stare."
                I had an automated response, to tell me that they would attempt to respond within twenty four hours.

In the meant time I received this from them.

Thank you for contacting our Customer Service team.

We value your feedback, so we'd like to know your views about the service you received by completing this simple survey. It will only take a few minutes and the information will help us to deliver a better service for our customers.

I mean, they must pay people to come up with ideas like this, which in the circumstances is like a red rag to a bull. I politely told them to stick their survey, what I wanted is action not more forms to fill in!

Since then I've had another e-mail from John Lewis

Having reviewed your case, our Technical support team are best placed to resolve this for you. I have forwarded your details to them and they will be in contact within the next 48 hours. This should be no later than Saturday 17 March.

"Best placed," to do what?

In the meantime, I've been able to keep some sort of control over the fridge, by putting it on "freeze" and "fan." I think the fan draws cold air up from the freezer as and when and on the "fan" setting just wafts the air around so that the cold air doesn't just sink to the bottom. If it's on all the time the door is closed (as it is you can see it coming to a halt when you open the door) it must be pulling cold air up all the time.

This and and putting it on "factory re-set" every twelve hours as the freeze function for the fridge is cancelled automatically after that length of time. has kept the temperature down to just above freezing. But if I turn the freeze function off, the temperature can rise into double figures.
                The freezer section is still OK. I re-set it from -18c to -20c just to what happened and it's holding at that.
                Which is good, because my wife has blithely carried on placing a telephoned meat order to Donald Russell. Fortunately we have two table-top freezers in the shed, I bought in the last couple of years second-hand on e-bay, for exactly that purpose.

Whatever happened to thermostats on fridges that you could turn and they worked perfectly for decades?

• Agree Agree x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1