1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

I don't know what this is but it's not doing well!

Discussion in 'Other Plants' started by JDQuinn, May 14, 2017.

1. JDQuinn

JDQuinn Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,

I have a couple of shrubs which were container plants for a couple of years before I put them in a shrubbery a couple years ago. Last year I enlarged the shrubbery but didn't move these particular shrubs. They had their best year last year flowering for the first time and looking absolutely stunning.

We had a relatively dry and mild winter but these shrubs have come out the other end looking decidedly worse for wear. I expected them to perk up but they appear to be getting worse. From the pictures can any of you identify the shrubs and take an educated guess as to what might be going wrong?

IMG_2189.JPG

IMG_2192.JPG

Attached Files:

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +118,333
    A bit difficult to tell from the photos but looks like a Hebe. Give it a bit of time to try and recover but trim off the dead bits. :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Total Gardener

Living in hope of world wide peace.
      Ratings:
      +54,373
      Hi there @JDQuinn , if it is a Hebe ,agree that it's hard to tell from the pics, then do as @shiney says as that is what I have done and they are definitely perking up a lot now.,One of mine was sooooo bad that I chopped it right back about a month ago and there are new leaves and shoots sprouting everywhere now :dbgrtmb:.

• Like Like x 2
      • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
        Ratings:
        +5,404
        That IS a hebe, and it looks like it has dried out. If it were mine, I would try as many cuttings as possible and start again. Hebes root very easily.

• Agree Agree x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • JDQuinn

JDQuinn Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
          +13
          Thanks all for replies, other than a very light tidy up I've never really pruned them so maybe cutting back quite hard will encourage new growth and thickening.

• Like Like x 1
          • Friendly Friendly x 1