1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

I Got Myself Another Banana

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Bilbo675, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
    Ratings:
    +6,654
    When I used to live at my parents house I grew a Musa Basjoo that reached an impressive 8-9ft and had 5 main stems as well as dozens of 'babies', since living here I've been looking for another one to grow here but haven't been able to find one at a reasonable price. That was until last Sunday when I visited a local farm shop and right by the door was a large tray of them, stunning healthy 2ft+ specimens in 3 litre pots for just £3.99, I bought 2, well you have to at that price :biggrin:

I now have them and my Siki hybrid grown from seed last year which is doing well too.

Also managed to picked up a couple of the usual 'dwarf' Banana plants off the market that you usually see in the supermarkets etc a lot, not winter hardy in any way but I'm including them in some summer bedding schemes, they were just £1.50 each so I couldn't refuse :snork:

• Like Like x 4
    • mowgley

mowgley Total Gardener

Wanna be gardener
      Ratings:
      +6,626
      Wish I could find stuff like you do @Bilbo675
      Great buys :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
      • Bilbo675

Bilbo675 Total Gardener

Gardener & Plant Sales
        Ratings:
        +6,654
        We're lucky to have the market here as well as a couple of farm shops, a couple of florists that stock a lot of plants and one of my favourite shops is half a grocery type store and half gardening items with a fantastic array of plants outside which are added to every Tuesday and Thursday, his turn over of plants is amazing. All these places are considerably cheaper than the mainstream Garden centres, which I generally avoid :)